Can one sum the polarizability of atoms?

In summary, the polarizability of NaCl cannot be determined by simply summing the polarizabilities of its constituent atoms, as the polarizability of a molecule depends on properties of its molecular bonds. Experimental values or values obtained from quantum chemistry calculations can be found in the literature.
mkay
I'm interested in finding the polarizability of NaCl. Let's say I have the polarizability of ##Na^+## and of ##Cl^-##. Can I sum these to get the polarizability of NaCl, that is:

$$\alpha_{NaCl} = \alpha_{Na^+} + \alpha_{Cl^-}$$

Honestly, that does seem very accurate, but perhaps it's to a certain degree..

Physics news on Phys.org
That won't work. The polarizability of a molecule depends on properties of the molecular bonds, which bear no relation to the polarizabilities of the constituent atoms.

Values of polarizabilities can be obtained from experiments or by quantum chemistry calculations. I would be very surprised if there were no value available somewhere in the literature.

1. What is polarizability and why is it important in atoms?

Polarizability is a measure of an atom's ability to be distorted by an external electric field. It is important in atoms because it affects their response to electric fields, which can impact their chemical and physical properties.

2. How is polarizability calculated for individual atoms?

Polarizability is calculated using various theoretical methods such as density functional theory or coupled cluster theory. These methods use quantum mechanical principles to predict the polarizability of an atom.

3. Can the polarizability of multiple atoms be summed together?

Yes, the polarizability of multiple atoms can be summed together. This is because polarizability is an extensive property, meaning it scales with the size of the system.

4. Is there a limit to the number of atoms that can be summed for polarizability?

In theory, there is no limit to the number of atoms that can be summed for polarizability. However, as the number of atoms increases, the accuracy of the calculation may decrease due to computational limitations.

5. How does polarizability affect the properties of molecules and materials?

Polarizability plays a crucial role in determining the dielectric properties of materials, such as their ability to conduct electricity. It also influences intermolecular interactions, which can impact the physical and chemical properties of molecules and materials.