1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone double check my work in this problem?

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay, I think these are simple, but just so I know that I am on the right track, can you double check my work? My questions and answers are in bold.

Factor these completely:

1. 2e^3x - 5xe^3x

2. 4lnx -3ylnx

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I took out the e^3x to make the factored problem e^3x(2-5x)Did I do that right, because I get confused when dealing with the exponents. If there is more to it, can you explain please? Thanks in advance.

2. I just took out the lnx to make it lnx(4-3y) . Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are both correct but you need parentheses. For example e^(3x). Also, while not incorrect, it is better to write the last one (4-3y)ln(x) to remove any possible misunderstanding about what is inside the ln function.

4. Jun 21, 2011 #3
    Thanks! Just wanted to make sure they were correct because it seemed too simple. Guess I'm used to overthinking things. lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook