1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone double-check this simple binary relation proof?

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

*attached

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let a,b ∈ H. Then (∀x ∈ S)(a*x = x*a) and (∀x ∈ S)(b*x = x*b). It is easy to see, then, that a*b = b*a. Now let c ∈ S. Then (a*b)*c = c*(a*b) by the associativity of *.

Q.E.D.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The last statement does not follow from associativity. Associativity merely says that

[tex](a*b)*c=a*(b*c)[/tex]

I also see no reason to take c in S. You need to prove that a*b in S. That is, you need to show for all c that (a*b)*c=c*(a*b). You don't only need to prove it for the c in S.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    Hey micromass. In order to show that a*b is an element of H, isn't the statement to prove: (for all c in S)((a*b)*c = c*(a*b))? Am i mistaken here?

*By the way i am taking c in S to be an arbitrary element

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Oops, I had my notation mixed up :frown: Yes, that is correct!

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5
    Heh. So wait... is the proof correct?

7. Sep 7, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You still need to explain why (a*b)*c = c*(a*b). It doesn't follow from associativity.

8. Sep 7, 2011 #7
    Can i say that since a,b are elements of S (since H is a subset of S), then a*b is in S. But also, since c is in S, then (a*b)*c is in S. and since * is associative on S, a*(b*c) is in S?

9. Sep 7, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How does thart prove (a*b)*c=c*(a*b)??

You need to use that a and b are in H.

10. Sep 8, 2011 #9
    ahhh, finally Figured it out micromass! I wasn't using the fact that a and b were in H to commute the result. That is, since (a*b)*c = a*(b*c), for some unknown reason I thought this was the goal. But now we may use that a is in H to write (b*c)*a and continue to use the fact that a,b are in H along with associativity to obtain our result.

I appreciate your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook