Can someone else me please I am so stuck on these questions

• Thread starter cjmania
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, you are given two problems involving inventory costs and reorder times. For the first problem, you need to find the number of times per year to reorder kayaks in order to minimize costs. To solve this, you will need to come up with a function representing the total cost incurred in a year and use calculus to find its minimum value. For the second problem, you need to find the optimum number of copies per order for a bookstore with an annual demand of 79,000 copies of a best-selling book. This can be solved by considering the costs of storage and placing an order.
cjmania
Can someone else me please I am so stuck on these questions!

I am stuck on both these questions, I have no idea where to begin I was given a worksheet which our instructor will review with us but I would like to know how to do them before class. I finished most of it but this I am stuck on. Can someone please help me to better understand these (Thank You):

1) An outdoor sports company sells 320 kayaks per year. It costs $16 to store one kayak for a year. Each reorder costs $10, plus an additional $7 for each kayak ordered. How many times per year should the store order kayaks in order to minimize inventory costs?

2) A bookstore has an annual demand for 79,000 copies of a best-selling book. It costs $.20 to store one copy for one year, and it costs $50 to place an order. Find the optimum number of copies per order.

Physics news on Phys.org

cjmania said:
I am stuck on both these questions, I have no idea where to begin I was given a worksheet which our instructor will review with us but I would like to know how to do them before class. I finished most of it but this I am stuck on. Can someone please help me to better understand these (Thank You):

1) An outdoor sports company sells 320 kayaks per year. It costs $16 to store one kayak for a year. Each reorder costs $10, plus an additional $7 for each kayak ordered. How many times per year should the store order kayaks in order to minimize inventory costs?

2) A bookstore has an annual demand for 79,000 copies of a best-selling book. It costs $.20 to store one copy for one year, and it costs $50 to place an order. Find the optimum number of copies per order.

For the first problem I would let n = the number of times to reorder in a year, since that's the thing that you're supposed to find.

In each of these periods, it's probably reasonable to assume that the store will sell 320/n kayaks.

Now, you need to come up with an expression that represents you costs for the period -- the storage cost and the two costs associated with a reorder (the fixed cost and the cost per kayak).

So in each period the store has sold 320/n kayaks, so they don't need to store those kayaks. The remaining kayaks (320 - 320/n) will have been stored for that period, 1/n of a year, at a cost of $16/n for each kayak. When you reorder, it will cost $10 + $7 for each of the 320/n kayaks being ordered. Keep in mind that this cost is going to be incurred n times in a year.

From the above, you should be able to come up with a function C(n) that represents the total cost incurred in a year for storage and reordering kayaks. When you get this function, you should be able to use calculus to find its minimum value.

If my explanation seems difficult to follow, just pick a value for n, such as 2 (reorder twice a year, or every 6 months) and calculate what the expenses would be. Then do the same for another value of n, say 4, and calculate the expenses again. That should help you think about this problem so that you can look at it in a more abstract way with a variable number of reorder times per year.

I didn't work this problem, but I've described how I would approach it. A similar tack will probably work for the other problem.

1. What should I do if I am stuck on a question?

If you are stuck on a question, the first thing you should do is take a step back and try to approach the problem from a different angle. It can also be helpful to ask a friend or colleague for their perspective or to do some additional research on the topic.

2. How can I get someone else to help me with my questions?

If you need help with your questions, it's always a good idea to reach out to someone who is knowledgeable in the subject or has experience with similar problems. You can ask a teacher, mentor, or classmate for assistance or even seek help from online forums or tutoring services.

3. Is it okay to ask for help with my questions?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for help with your questions. In fact, seeking help is a sign of strength and shows that you are committed to understanding the material. Just make sure to give credit to the person who helped you and try to understand the solution instead of just copying it.

4. What should I do if no one is available to help me with my questions?

If you are unable to find someone to help you with your questions, don't panic. Take a break and come back to the questions with a fresh mindset. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and tackling them one at a time. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can provide step-by-step guidance.

5. How can I avoid getting stuck on questions in the future?

To avoid getting stuck on questions in the future, it's important to regularly review and practice the material. This will help you build a strong foundation of knowledge and make it easier to approach new problems. It can also be helpful to ask questions and participate in class discussions to gain a deeper understanding of the topic.