Can someone explain this answer "in layman's terms"?

It is not possible to make understanding of calculus "simple for a calculus beginner" since it is a difficult subject. The explanation makes it as simple as possible.In summary, the curve defined implicitly by the equation xy^3 + x^3y = 4 has no horizontal tangent. This can be shown by taking the derivative of both sides and solving for y', which results in y'= 0 only when y= 0. However, there are no points on the curve where y= 0, so there are no horizontal tangents. It is recommended to carefully study the explanation and ask about specific steps if there are any difficulties understanding the concept.
iwantcalculus
The question is :

Show that the curve defined implicitly by the equation

X*Y^3 + x^3*Y = 4

has no horizontal tangent.The answer is :

4546765calcyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.png
Can someone please explain what steps are used in order to obtain the answer in a simple way for a calculus beginner? This answer is not helping me understand the question and how to answer the question ( It is too complicated and gets me confused).

And if you have similar questions, please show me them so I can practice on them after I understand this question in order to be comfortable with this type of questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
A curve is given ##f(x,y) = c ##. To see if there are any horizontal tangents, you need to get ##y' = \frac{dy}{dx} ##. So then you take the derivative of both sides of the equation ##f(x,y) = c ## resulting in some other true equation ##f'(x,y) = 0 ##. You can obtain ##f'## by implicit differentiation. Now somewhere in ##f'## there will be a ##dy/dx## aka ##y'##. You need to extract that somehow and solve for it. How you do this will depend on the the function you were given. In this case ##y'## is that that ratio of two polynomials.

To find if the function has a horizontal tangent we solve ##dy/dx = 0##. In our case ##dy/dx## is a fraction of two things $$y' = \frac{a(x,y)}{b(x,y)} = 0$$ can only be true if ##a(x,y)= 0##. So to find solutions set the numerator to zero (note however that ##a(x,y) = 0 ## and ##b(x,y) = 0## is a special case). Finally one goes on to see if there is a solution to ##dy/dx= y' = 0##. One finds in this case that there isn't but in general there might be.

Last edited:
iwantcalculus said:
The question is :

Show that the curve defined implicitly by the equation

X*Y^3 + x^3*Y = 4

has no horizontal tangent.The answer is :

4546765calcyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.png
The above is not "the answer." It is the explanation of why the curve xy3 + yx3 = 4 doesn't have a horizontal tangent. The explanation seems pretty straightforward to me. What part of the explanation seems confusing to you?
iwantcalculus said:
Can someone please explain what steps are used in order to obtain the answer in a simple way for a calculus beginner? This answer is not helping me understand the question and how to answer the question ( It is too complicated and gets me confused).

And if you have similar questions, please show me them so I can practice on them after I understand this question in order to be comfortable with this type of questions.

Perhaps a little bit simpler: a "horizontal tangent" is where y'= dy/dx= 0. Differentiating both sides of [itex]xy^3+ x^3y= 4[/itex] with respect to x,
[itex]y^3+ 3xy^2y'+ 3x^2y+ x^3y'= 0[/itex].

At any point where y'= 0, that becomes [itex]y^3+ 3x^2y= y(y^2+ 3x^2)= 0[/itex]. That is only true where y= 0 or [itex]y^2+ 3x^2= 0[/itex] which, again, requires that y= 0. But if y= 0 then [itex]xy^3+ x^2y= 0[/itex], not 4. That curves does not contain any point where y= 0 so no point where y'= 0.

I think that the original explanation is pretty good and thorough, step-by-step. It uses a lot of fundamental facts. You should look at it carefully step-by-step and ask about the specific steps that are a problem.

Likes Mark44

1. What does it mean to explain something "in layman's terms"?

Explaining something "in layman's terms" means to use simple and easy-to-understand language to describe a complex or technical concept. This helps individuals who may not have a background in the subject to better understand the information.

2. Why is it important to explain things in layman's terms?

It is important to explain things in layman's terms because not everyone has the same level of knowledge or understanding about a certain topic. By using simpler language, you can make the information more accessible and understandable to a wider audience.

3. How do you determine what language to use when explaining something in layman's terms?

When explaining something in layman's terms, it is important to consider your audience and their level of understanding. Avoid using technical jargon or complex terminology, and instead use everyday language that is easy to understand for the average person.

4. Are there any tips for effectively explaining something in layman's terms?

To effectively explain something in layman's terms, it can be helpful to use analogies or real-life examples to illustrate the concept. It is also important to break down the information into smaller, more digestible pieces and to avoid overwhelming the audience with too much technical information at once.

5. How can someone improve their ability to explain things in layman's terms?

Practice is key to improving one's ability to explain things in layman's terms. It can also be helpful to gather feedback from others and adjust your language accordingly. Additionally, constantly expanding your own knowledge and understanding of a subject can make it easier to explain it in simpler terms to others.