1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone explain this complex math problem?

1. Oct 21, 2016 #1
    I'm working out an impedance matching problem from a textbook (it is not part of any coursework) and I am trying to figure out how they get the 315 term in the polar coordinates below.

Z = (XC*RL)/(XC+RL)

= (-j333*(1000))/(-j333+1000)
    = 315 , -71.58*
    = 100 -j300 ohms

I calculated that atan(1000/-333) = 71.58* however I do not understand where they got the 315 from. I get 249 or 499 depending on positive or negative.

I understand that 315 would be the length of the ray, and -71.58 would be the angle as this is capacitive hence -j. e.g. converting from rectangular to polar if I understand correctly.

It was explained as (333*1000)/(sqrt(333^2+1000^2)) and that indeed does give us 315.943 ~316, however, I do not understand how they used the mathematical function to get to this point and I was hoping someone could explain what I'm missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Getting rid of a complex number in the denominator of a fraction is done by multiplying the fraction by 1 in the form of the conjugate of the denominator over itself.

$$\frac {a + jb}{c + jd} = \frac {a + jb}{c + jd} \cdot \frac{c - jd}{c - jd} \\
    = \frac{(a + jb)(c - jd)}{c^2 + d^2} = \frac{ac + bd }{c^2 + d^2} + \frac{j(bc - ad)}{c^2 + d^2}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted