Parallel RL Circuits: Uses & Impedance Matching

In summary: This circuit is a voltage divider. The output voltage is proportional to the input voltage, with a load added in series. When the load is larger than the resistance of the parallel links, the output voltage will be smaller than the input voltage.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
This query comes from not being able to answer some one else's query :oops:
it show's I have been away from textbooks and classrooms way too long ( see my signature )
I have forgotten my basics

These RL circuits

RL cct.GIF

Now I realize A and B are just the same with the RL rotated
and following that C would be the same as B with the load inserted below the RL
For C ... What difference is there if the load is say
1) antenna
2) some other circuit on a separate module ( possibly/probably capacitively coupled)

or if circuit B and the load was parallel across the source and the RL network ?

Bouncing around a number of www sites infers that the parallel RL is used as a form impedance matching
between the source and load ?
I cannot find specific comments for another use ... is there one ?
I was considering a filter ...

with ref to ...
http://amrita.vlab.co.in/?sub=1&brch=75&sim=322&cnt=1
Theory:
With an ac signal applied to it, the parallel RL circuit shown below offers significant impedance to the flow of current. This impedance will
image001%20%281%29.gif
change with frequency, since that helps determine XL, but for any given frequency, it will not change over time.
Then gets into a mass of complex impedance calc's as most sites do

one place seen was in an FM phase modulator circuit ...

trnsfig3.gif

I haven't played with phase modulation circuits ... so not too sure of the process therea little help in understanding please :smile:

cheers
Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
davenn said:
Then gets into a mass of complex impedance calc's as most sites do

Seems to me that "mass of calc's" was unnecessary.

Why they let it get more complex than this, their own starting point,
image003%283%29.png

is a mystery to me.

You'll remember this from 1960s...

Every new scientist must learn early that it is never good taste to designate the sum of two quantities in the form:

latex.png

Anyone who has made a study of advanced mathematics is aware that:

latex.png

latex.png

latex.png

Therefore eq. (1) can be expressed more scientifically as:

latex.png

This may be further simplified by use of the relations:

latex.png

latex.png

Equation (2) may therefore be rewritten as:

latex.png

At this point it should be obvious that eq. (3) is much clearer and more easily understood than eq. (1). Other methods of a similar nature could be used to clarify eq. (1), but these are easily divined once the reader grasps the underlying principles.
https://totient.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/a-funny-derivation/

Likes Bystander and davenn
@jim hardy haha ... why do people do that to us poor non-mathematical people
and 1+1=2 also depends on who you are ... a statistician, mathematician, an engineer or a philosopher :wink:

But we digress
Any help with understanding what this RL circuit is doing ?Dave

davenn said:
Any help with understanding what this RL circuit is doing ?

Circuit C ?

I'd treat it as a voltage divider.
Vout = Vin X (Rload)/(Rload + (R1 parallel L1))

and plot Vout/Vin for frequencies where XL<< either resistor to XL>> either resistor.

At DC, Vout = Vin
and when XL>> either resistor, Vout = Vin X Rload/(R1+Rload)
If one sets Rload = K*R1
there's some frequency where XL = R1, ω = R1/L1, so one could derive a family of curves of attenuation vs frequency.for various K's

Sound plausible?

old jim

1. What is a parallel RL circuit?

A parallel RL (resistor-inductor) circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components (resistor and inductor) are connected in parallel to each other. This means that the components share the same voltage source, but have separate branches for current flow.

2. What are the uses of parallel RL circuits?

Parallel RL circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as filters, oscillators, and amplifiers. They are also used in power supply circuits for electronic devices. Additionally, parallel RL circuits are used in power distribution systems to improve power factor and reduce line losses.

3. What is impedance matching in parallel RL circuits?

Impedance matching in parallel RL circuits refers to the process of adjusting the inductance and resistance values of the circuit to match the impedance of the load. This allows for maximum power transfer from the circuit to the load.

4. How do you calculate the impedance of a parallel RL circuit?

The impedance of a parallel RL circuit can be calculated using the formula Z = R + jX, where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, and X is the reactance (inductive or capacitive). The reactance can be calculated separately using the formula X = 2πfL, where f is the frequency and L is the inductance.

5. How does the impedance of a parallel RL circuit change with frequency?

The impedance of a parallel RL circuit varies with frequency due to the inductive reactance changing with frequency. At lower frequencies, the inductive reactance is higher, resulting in a higher overall impedance. As the frequency increases, the inductive reactance decreases, leading to a decrease in overall impedance. This can be seen in a graph of impedance versus frequency, known as an impedance curve.