Why is my TI-84 giving different results for complex number calculations?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
1st1
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am having some difficulty understanding what is going on with the TI-84 complex number calculation in switching between rectangular and polar coordinates, hopefully someone can clarify this for me. For example, take the term 6<30 (6 angle 30). When I calculate this by hand going from polar to rectangular I get 5.196 + 3i. However, if I try to switch 6<30 into rectangular coordinates with my TI-84 I get 0.926 + 5.93i. Can anyone explain to me what is happening?

Thanks in advance!
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have the calculator set to radians instead of degrees.
 
The calculator is set to degrees, not radians. I've checked.
However if I put the angle in as radians it does work.
Maybe it only works with radians even though I'm in degree mode.
 
Last edited: