Can someone explain the process of this problem?

In summary, this person is posting here because they don't understand problems from a calculus class they are taking and their professor has a strong accent and speaks too low for people to hear. They say they have gone to his office hours and they are having trouble understanding the material. They ask for help with some of the problems and ask if anyone can clarify what they don't understand.
BillTheButcher
I am posting here because this is NOT homework. Problems are finished. However we have an exam on friday for calculus 1 class and well... I've been trying real hard to understand it but professor has a real strong accent and he speaks too low, no one can hear a thing!

Anyway, we did the review and I was wondering if someone would explain how he got to those solutions... I marked the parts that I especially don't understand... we will also be allowed to have notes on the exam, so any formulas that you think might help me, or anything at all, will be of great help if you tell me.

There are 5 problems, and if a problem didn't fit in one page, I marked the photo as "Problem 5-a; Problem 5-b" for example. The last problem (problem 5) didn't fit so the link to the pictures are here:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/592/lxkk.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4107/fkdt.jpg

I hope you guys can clarify these things to me since the professor who is getting paid to do that, didn't. And yes, I did go to his office hours.

Attachments

• Problem 1.jpg
    Problem 1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 533
  • Problem 2-a.jpg
    Problem 2-a.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 536
  • Problem 2-b.jpg
    Problem 2-b.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 568
  • Problem 2-c.jpg
    Problem 2-c.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 551
  • Problem 3.jpg
    Problem 3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 508
  • Problem 4.jpg
    Problem 4.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 480
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's really hard to read some of those pages... it would be a lot easier if you typed up the question and what about the solution confused you.

Problem 1:

The position of a body moving on a coordinate line is given by S = t2 - 4t + 4, with S as meters and t as seconds. When, if ever, during the interval 0 <_ t<_ 4 does the body change direction?

Here I just don't know how we get from "S = t2 - 4t + 4" to "V=ds/dt = 2t - 4.

Problem 2:

The size of a population of lions after 't' months is given by P=100(1+0.2t+0.02t2=. Find the growth rate when P=2500.

Here, I don't understand at the end of the Problem 2-b picture, why is the solution t=30 months when in our calculations we had (t+40)(t-30)=0. Why let '40' out and use only '30' as an answer?
In the same problem, I don't understand how he got from multiplying that equation times 100 which resulted in =100+20t+2t2 to dP/dt=20+4t?

I don't get those sketches in problem 3.

In problem 4, in next to last line, I don't get how he got from y=3x+2+x-1+x-2 to y' = 3-x-2-2x-3.

As for problem 5, starting the 2nd I don't know how he got there.

BillTheButcher said:
Problem 1:

The position of a body moving on a coordinate line is given by S = t2 - 4t + 4, with S as meters and t as seconds. When, if ever, during the interval 0 <_ t<_ 4 does the body change direction?

Here I just don't know how we get from "S = t2 - 4t + 4" to "V=ds/dt = 2t - 4.
Can you clarify what you don't understand? Is it that you don't recognize that the derivative of ##t^2 - 4t + 4## is ##2t - 4##, or that you don't see how this applies to this problem?

The size of a population of lions after 't' months is given by P=100(1+0.2t+0.02t2=. Find the growth rate when P=2500.

Here, I don't understand at the end of the Problem 2-b picture, why is the solution t=30 months when in our calculations we had (t+40)(t-30)=0. Why let '40' out and use only '30' as an answer?
Well, I can't read your images very well (one of them is even upside down!), but first you need to find ##t## for which ##P(t) = 2500##. So we need to solve ##100(1 + 0.2t + 0.02t^2) = 2500##, or equivalently, ##t^2 + 10t -1200 = 0##. The polynomial on the left hand side factors as ##(t-30)(t+40)##, so equation reduces to ##(t-30)(t+40) = 0##. This is true if ##t = 30## or ##t = -40##. So it's not ##40## which is being excluded as a solution, but ##-40##. This is presumably because the formula given for ##P(t)## is only meant to be valid for positive values of ##t##. So ##t=30## is the only solution that makes sense in this context.

In the same problem, I don't understand how he got from multiplying that equation times 100 which resulted in =100+20t+2t2 to dP/dt=20+4t?
Again, are you asking why the derivative of ##100 + 20t + 2t^2## is ##20 + 4t##? This is a very elementary derivative! Surely you must have seen other examples like this?

I don't get those sketches in problem 3.

In problem 4, in next to last line, I don't get how he got from y=3x+2+x-1+x-2 to y' = 3-x-2-2x-3.

As for problem 5, starting the 2nd I don't know how he got there.
Please write out the questions. Your images are too painful to read. Also, it is preferable to start a separate thread for each question, unless they are closely related.

1. What is the problem that needs to be explained?

The problem could refer to a specific scientific concept, experiment, or data analysis. It is important to provide clear and concise information about the problem so that the explanation can be focused and relevant.

2. What is the step-by-step process of solving the problem?

The process could involve a series of experiments, calculations, or observations. It is crucial to break down the process into smaller, manageable steps and explain each step in detail to fully understand the problem.

3. What are the key concepts or theories involved in the problem?

The problem may require an understanding of various scientific theories, principles, or laws. It is essential to explain these concepts in a clear and accessible manner to help the person fully grasp the problem and its solution.

4. What are the possible limitations or uncertainties in the process?

Every scientific process has its limitations and uncertainties, which can affect the accuracy or reliability of the results. It is necessary to acknowledge and explain these factors to provide a complete understanding of the problem.

5. How can the explanation be applied to real-world situations?

Many scientific problems have practical applications in the real world. It is important to discuss how the explanation of the problem can be applied to other scenarios and how it contributes to our understanding of the natural world.