1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone give me a basic calculus problem then break it down and solve it?

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    I will be taking calculus soon and want to know what yo expect from the course. please give as many details as possible.

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Niaboc67.

What kind of course are you taking? Standard Calc I? Honors Calculus? Multi-variable and Vector Calculus? High school calculus?

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    I assume this would be your first calculus class and that it's not proof based. In which case here's a website that covers 3 semesters of that mostly through worked problems broken down in a clear manner. http://www.khanacademy.org/math/calculus

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A calculus course involves so many different types of problems that we can't possibly give you a good idea what the course is about this way. There are also many different types of calculus courses. I will however give you an example. To understand it, you need to understand functions, derivatives, the product rule and the chain rule.

Problem: Find the derivative of the function ##f:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R## defined by ##f(x)=xe^{-x^2}## for all real numbers x.

Solution:
    \begin{align}\frac{d}{dx}\left(xe^{-x^2}\right) &=\left(\frac{d}{dx}x\right)e^{-x^2} +x\frac{d}{dx}\left(e^{-x^2}\right)\\ &=e^{-x^2} +xe^{-x^2}\frac{d}{dx}\left(-x^2\right)\\
    &=e^{-x^2} -2x^2e^{-x^2}\\
    &=(1-2x^2)e^{-x^2}\end{align}

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  6. Oct 19, 2012 #5
    Given the function f(x) = x^2
    Find the slope of the line tangent to the function at the point x=2

First find the instantaneous rate of change at x=2, which will be the slope of f(x) at the point. The instantaneous rate of change/instantaneous slope is the derivative which is 4. The tangent line will pass through the point f(2) so one of the y values of the line will be 4.

Then use point slope.

y-y1=m(x-x1)

y-4=4(x-2)

y=4x-4

so y=4x-4 is the slope of the tangent of equation f(x)=x^2 at point = 2.

7. Oct 20, 2012 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Given a unit square of paper, you are to create a box from it with the largest volume.

Letting the new height be "x", the sides of the box becomes (1-2x).
    (By cutting away squares at the corners with sides "x")
    Thus, the volume of the box, as a function of "x" becomes V(x)=(1-2x)^2*x.

We will find the extrema of the volume by differentiating the volume function, and determining the values of "x" giving V'(x)=0.

We get: V'(x)=(1-2x)^2-4x(1-2x)=(1-2x)*(1-6x).
    Thus, maximum volume occurs for x=1/6, giving maximum volume V(1/6)=2/27

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook