Can Someone give me a good despriction of Classical Physics?

In summary, the conversation discussed the definition of classical physics and some good resources for learning about physics. Classical physics was described as dealing with things that aren't too small or moving too fast, and events take place on a universal Newtonian stage with deterministic results. Some recommended resources for learning about physics included books by Feynman and MIT OpenCourseWare, along with the Giancoli textbook. Classical physics was also defined as any physics that is not quantum, with General Relativity being the most complete theory in this domain. Special relativity is an approximation that neglects gravitational effects, and Newtonian physics is applicable to systems with weak gravity and slow velocities. Overall, the conversation provided a helpful overview of classical physics and suggested some useful resources for learning
Physgeek123
Also, what are some good resources for learning ABOUT physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that specifically what "classical" means depends on the context, with what is classical being contrasted. In a more general way we could probably say something like, classical physics is not quantum and not relativistic. To say that in language for people unaware of the meanings of quantum and relativity we could say, classical physics deals with things that aren't too small and that don't move too fast. Events take place on the universal Newtonian stage (as opposed to relative inertial frames of reference) and the results are deterministic. As my description gets more specific there is more of a chance it's wrong, because like I said context matters. I am tempted to say that classical physics is the physics of your everyday life, but the degree to which we have integrated modern technologies into our daily lives probably makes this inaccurate. I hope this helps.

As for learning about physics, it depends on what you are trying to learn, what your current knowledge is. If you're trying to pique interest in a young mind about physics, without getting in formulas and mathematics, there are some great books by Feynman for that (QED, 6 Easy Pieces, etc.) The Feynman Lectures are a series of volumes you will find on pretty much every educated physicists bookshelf, but these are not for the laymen per se. If you want to get into the "work" of physics I personally find getting a legit textbook on science topics and working through them invaluable when introducing my mind to a new field. If you're looking for online lectures I'll recommend MIT OpenCourseWare and the Kahn Academy.

Kahn Academy Physics Playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAD5B880806EBE0A4&feature=plcp

MIT OCW Physics:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

I suggest Giancoli book its pretty great to get started I am currently learning from it. It has basic physics not including calculus and 80 question in the end of each section plus khan academy is great aswell. I am currently learning from khan and Giancoli 6 edition book.

I'd define classical physics as any physics which is not quantum, i.e., an approximation whose validity is constrained by the quantum nature of all Natural Laws.

General Relativity is the most complete theory describing all phenomena within this validity domain of classical physics. Special relativity is the approximation where all gravitational effects can be neglected, and Newtonian physics describes systems where gravity is only very weak and all velocities are much smaller than the universal speed of relativistic physics (which is with very high accuracy identical with the phase velocity of electromagnetic waves in the vacuum).

Thank you all, those reply satisfy me :)

1. What is Classical Physics?

Classical Physics is the branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as planets, cars, and projectiles. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. How does Classical Physics differ from other branches of physics?

Classical Physics is different from other branches of physics, such as Quantum Physics and Relativity, because it deals with objects that are large enough to be seen and measured directly, and it does not take into account the behavior of subatomic particles or objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

3. What are the main principles of Classical Physics?

The main principles of Classical Physics are the laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force, and the law of gravitation, which describes the attraction between two objects with mass.

4. How is Classical Physics used in everyday life?

Classical Physics is used in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, and riding a bike. It is also used in engineering and architecture to design structures that can withstand the forces of gravity and motion.

5. Is Classical Physics still relevant in modern science?

Yes, Classical Physics is still relevant in modern science. While it may not fully explain the behavior of particles at a subatomic level or objects traveling at high speeds, it is still essential in understanding the motion and behavior of most objects in our daily lives.