1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me with an analytical dynamics exercise?

1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums -- poster is reminded to post in HH and show their work
    At a certain instant, the velocity and acceleration of a particle ar defined by v= 3i + 4j - 6k m/s and a=-2i + 3k m/s2. Find the radius of curvature and change of speed of the particle at the instant.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2

Henryk

Gold Member

you mean, the rate of change of speed, that is acceleration parallel to the trajectory, right?
    I also assume, that i, j, k refer to unit vectors along x, y, z coordinates, respectively.
    This is not a hard thing to do. First, you have to construct a unit vector parallel to the velocity vector ## \hat v =\frac{ \vec v }{]v]} ##.
    The parallel acceleration is just a projection of the acceleration onto direction of ## \hat v ## , that is ## a_{\parallel} = \hat v * (\hat v \cdot \vec a) ##
    That will give you the answer to the second of your question.
    The curvature can be found from the formula ## \frac {v^2} r = a_{\perp} ## where ## a_{\perp} = \vec a - a_{\parallel} ##

I hope that I gave you enough hints. If you have any more questions, let me know.
    H

4. Feb 17, 2016 #3
    oh man, thank you so much!! It's really easy to do now, but I was confused about it! I have another question from the other exercise but I want to keep trying solve this exercise. if I don't get to solve it, I'll request your help again. Thanks H.

5. Feb 17, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Please check your Personal Messages. Schoolwork questions must be posted in the Homework Help forums (where I moved this thread of yours), and you must use the Homework Help Template and show your work when posting schoolwork questions on the PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted