Can someone me simplify this expression....

In summary, when simplifying the limit of a function, one must be aware of infinity and group terms to remove them.
MrDickinson
lim_(h->0^-) (e^(x+h)/((x+h)^2-1)-e^(x+h)/(x^2-1))/h = -(2 e^x x)/(x^2-1)^2

I know how to differentiate the expression using the quotient rule; however, I want to use the limit definition of a derivative to practice it more.This desire to practice led me into a trap! Now I just can't simplify the expression...

PLEASE give a thorough, step by step explanation. Thanks!

Here is a link to wolfram with the function

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/...or"}&rawformassumption={"MC",""}->{"Formula"}

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I don't understand why in the second term you have e^(x+h) instead of e^x if you are using [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h.

Likes MrDickinson
Amentia said:
Hello, I don't understand why in the second term you have e^(x+h) instead of e^x if you are using [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h.
Sorry, I just took that from wolfram. It was supposed to be what I had typed in (didn't want to retype), but I see the problem. It seems I did not correctly type in what I wanted to take the limit of...I actually didn't even notice that because wolfram wasn't that helpful (it just says simplify without giving the steps to simplify) so I just moved on..

Here, I will upload a picture of my work to make it easier...

Also, my work is partial, but it doesn't matter because no matter what I did, I could not get the function out of an undefined form using algebra.

Attachments

• Wolfram upload2.JPG
    Wolfram upload2.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 469
I don't see very well all the lines but I think the last line is correct. You just need to find a way to continue. You have:

[tex] \frac{e^x}{D} \left[ \frac{e^h}{h}x^2- \frac{e^h}{h} - \frac{x^2}{h} -2x - h - \frac{1}{h} \right] [/tex]

where D is your denominator without the h that I moved upwards. So from there you have to group term to remove the problems with infinity that you could have with terms like 1/h.

For example:

[tex] \frac{e^x}{D} \left[ \left(\frac{e^h}{h}- \frac{1}{h}\right)x^2 +\left(\frac{1}{h}- \frac{e^h}{h}\right) -2x - h \right] [/tex]

And now if you know how to develop the exponential, it should be straightforward.

Likes jim mcnamara and MrDickinson
Amentia said:
I don't see very well all the lines but I think the last line is correct. You just need to find a way to continue. You have:

[tex] \frac{e^x}{D} \left[ \frac{e^h}{h}x^2- \frac{e^h}{h} - \frac{x^2}{h} -2x - h - \frac{1}{h} \right] [/tex]

where D is your denominator without the h that I moved upwards. So from there you have to group term to remove the problems with infinity that you could have with terms like 1/h.

For example:

[tex] \frac{e^x}{D} \left[ \left(\frac{e^h}{h}- \frac{1}{h}\right)x^2 +\left(\frac{1}{h}- \frac{e^h}{h}\right) -2x - h \right] [/tex]

And now if you know how to develop the exponential, it should be straightforward.
What does it mean to "develop" the exponential? I apologize, I never really understood math terminology. Words like argument and stuff... always go beyond me

Thanks

What I mean is to use this formula:

[tex]e^h = 1+h+h^2/2 + h^3/3! + ... = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} h^n/n! [/tex]

But you only need:

[tex] e^h = 1 + h +o(h^2) [/tex]

because all the higher terms will vanish when you set h = 0.

Amentia said:
What I mean is to use this formula:

[tex]e^h = 1+h+h^2/2 + h^3/3! + ... = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} h^n/n! [/tex]

But you only need:

[tex] e^h = 1 + h +o(h^2) [/tex]

because all the higher terms will vanish when you set h = 0.
Is this a series? I have not taken calculus 2... is there a way to simplify this limit without using a series? I am not really familiar with them...

Yes, and it must be possible but right now I don't remember another way to simplify.

Likes MrDickinson
Amentia said:
Yes, and it must be possible but right now I don't remember another way to simplify.
Thank you.This problem is a practice problem to develop the quotient rule for differentiation (I have only taken calculus 1 and am waiting to take calculus 2). I decided that I would like to try to use the limit definition to find the derivative for this particular function (I usually pick complicated looking functions to really challenge my limited capacities). Thanks for all of the help though!

1. Can someone simplify this expression for me?

Yes, as a scientist and an expert in mathematics, I can help simplify any expression for you.

2. How do I know if an expression can be simplified?

An expression can be simplified if it contains like terms, or terms with the same variables and exponents. It can also be simplified if it contains parentheses or fractions.

3. Can you show me an example of simplifying an expression?

Of course, let's take the expression 3x + 2x - 5x. We can simplify this by combining the like terms, which would give us 0x or simply 0.

4. Is there a specific order to simplify an expression?

Yes, a commonly used order is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction). This means that we should simplify any terms within parentheses first, then work on exponents, followed by multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

5. Can you explain the importance of simplifying expressions?

Simplifying expressions makes them easier to understand and work with. It also allows us to find the simplest form of an expression, which is useful in solving equations and graphing functions. In addition, simplifying expressions can help us identify patterns and relationships between variables.