How can the difference quotient be used to simplify the expression for y=2^x?

In summary, simplifying the algebraic expression for the equation y=2^x and its difference quotient (Δy and Δy/Δx) can be challenging without using the chain rule or other shortcuts. Various methods, such as raising terms to a natural log power and using logarithm properties, have been attempted but the h in the denominator cannot be eliminated. The best approach is to use known limits, such as the general version of the limit for a^h-1/h, or advanced techniques for trig derivatives.
mrg
1. Simplify the algebraic expression you get for Δy and Δy/Δx for the equation y=2^x

2. Use the difference quotient (f(x+h)-f(x))/h. No use of chain rule or other shortcuts.

3. I've tried a host of things, including raising terms to a natural log power (I.e. e^(ln2)*x*h), using logarithm properties, simplifying things... It seems that I cannot get rid of an h in some denominator. Now, this is a problem well before we actually learn derivatives, so things like that chain rule and implicit differentiation haven't been learned. This is a problem to challenge the kids with their difference quotient skills. I'm beginning to fear that it can't be done.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way to get rid of the ##h## in the denominator. The best you can do is either write it as $$\frac{2^x\ln 2(e^{h\ln 2}-1)}{h\ln 2}=\frac{2^x\ln 2(e^{u}-1)}{u}$$ and go from there, knowing that ##\lim_{u\rightarrow 0}\frac{e^{u}-1}{u}=1## or, if you know that $$\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{a^{h}-1}{h}=\ln a$$ (i.e. the general version of the known limit) then you can use that.

But there is no way to algebraically simplify this limit so that you can just plug in ##h=0## like you can with the derivative limits for the algebraic functions.

FYI, you need some "advanced tech" for the trig derivatives as well.

What is the difference quotient of 2^x?

The difference quotient of 2^x is a mathematical expression used to find the average rate of change of a function, in this case 2^x, over a specific interval.

How is the difference quotient of 2^x calculated?

The difference quotient of 2^x is calculated by taking the limit of the change in the function divided by the change in the input value, as the change in the input value approaches 0. This can be expressed as (f(x+h)-f(x))/h, where h represents the change in the input value.

Why is the difference quotient of 2^x important?

The difference quotient of 2^x is important because it allows us to understand the rate of change of a function at a specific point. This can be useful in analyzing the behavior of a function and making predictions about its future values.

Can the difference quotient of 2^x be used to find the derivative of 2^x?

Yes, the difference quotient of 2^x can be used to find the derivative of 2^x. In fact, the derivative of 2^x is equal to ln(2) * 2^x, which can be derived using the difference quotient formula.

How is the difference quotient of 2^x related to the concept of slope?

The difference quotient of 2^x is closely related to the concept of slope. In fact, the difference quotient is essentially the slope of a secant line between two points on the graph of 2^x. As the change in the input value approaches 0, the secant line becomes a tangent line, and the difference quotient becomes equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point.