1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone recommend me a good Probability and Statistics textbook?

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    I want to take an introductory course on Probability and Statistics but I want a good textbook that has lots of practice problems for this course. Please tell me the name of the textbook, author and edition.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

td21

Gold Member

DeGroot, M.H. and Schervish, M.J.: Probability and Statistics (Boston: Addison-Wesley, 2012, 4th ed.)

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3
    Thank you for the info, it was helpful.

5. Nov 2, 2014 #4
    A First Course in Probabilty ,9th Edition by Sheldon Ross.

6. Nov 2, 2014 #5
    Thank you for another good textbook, @drake !

7. Nov 2, 2014 #6
    A Modern Introduction to Probability and Statistics: Understanding Why and How by Dekking, Kraaikamp, Lopuhaa and Meester. What I really like about it personally, is how focused it is on application, the practicality of statistics is shown in its full glory. I also find the quick exercises at the end of each section useful. They let you check if you understand the concept before trying to apply it to more difficult problems.

8. Nov 3, 2014 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted