Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the Bose-Einstein Condensate reach 0 K?

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    To reiterate the question, can the method of cooling an object down with the Bose-Einstein Condensate reach absolute Zero?
    I believe it cannot because the method itself might be close, but never achieve because i believe that absolute zero can only happen naturally, if it can happen at all. Bose-Einstein condensate was made by using a magnetic field to "naturally" separate the hotter parts of the atom to the colder part, and as the atom gets colder, the magnetic field is pushed downwards so, even in the coldest part of the atom, the hotter part leaves. However, since this is artificial, measuring this object and the presence of a imperfect insulator will give off heat and, therefore, break the brief state of Absolute Zero, if it was achieved.

I am not sure if this is the reason... so if someone can inform me! Please help! :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No physical system can exist at absolute zero. That requires the entropy to be zero as well, and since the system is of finite size, it cannot have zero entropy.

I'm not sure how nK, pK or fK 'temperatures' are assigned to these systems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?