Can the Christoffel connection be observed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between the vector potential A in QED and the Christoffel connection in GR. It is suggested that the Christoffel connection can also be considered an observable, as it can be felt in the body during acceleration. However, it is also argued that acceleration can be caused by forces other than gravitation, making it difficult to solely attribute it to the Christoffel connection. The conversation then delves into the equation for motion along a geodesic and how it depends on the Christoffel connection. It is noted that measuring the force with a dynamometer can yield information about certain components of the connection, but it is limited to a specific coordinate system and does not provide a complete understanding of the
I know too few about GR, but this apparent usefullness of non-invariant quantities arises in several other fields. E.g. the spin is defined as the angular momentum in the center of energy reference frame of a particle. However, this does not mean that spin is not defined for other reference frames but only that it cannot be interpreted as an angular momentum in these frames. Another example are the London equations of a superconductor, which contain explicitly the electromagnetic vector potential, however, only if formulated in Coulomb gauge. A chain of more and more trivial examples can be developed.

Likes dextercioby and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
martinbn said:
I agree that what you propose in the paper is not useful. It seems to be just name giving. Of course I might be wrong and change my view if someone shows me why it may be useful.
OK, but what do you think about the gravitational energy-momentum pseudo-tensor? Do you think it's useful? Would you say that it is physical, given that it depends on the choice of coordinates?

martinbn said:
Of course I might be wrong and change my view if someone shows me why it may be useful.

in high school physics gravity potential energy mgh is familiar but it is not of tensor.

Demystifier said:
So you agree that sometimes non-covariant (non-tensorial) quantities, like energy-momentum pseudo-tensor, which depend on coordinates, may be physically more useful than covariant ones?
bythe way not pseudo-tensor but nontensor , it should have been named.

Demystifier said:
In principle yes, but that's quite complicated and you cannot define their energy-momentum.

i have read in Dirac that in case of plane wave energy momentum is localized.

DrDu said:
I know too few about GR, but this apparent usefullness of non-invariant quantities arises in several other fields. E.g. the spin is defined as the angular momentum in the center of energy reference frame of a particle. However, this does not mean that spin is not defined for other reference frames but only that it cannot be interpreted as an angular momentum in these frames. Another example are the London equations of a superconductor, which contain explicitly the electromagnetic vector potential, however, only if formulated in Coulomb gauge. A chain of more and more trivial examples can be developed.
This is another example about observables depending on the reference frame. It is not about coordinates.

Demystifier said:
OK, but what do you think about the gravitational energy-momentum pseudo-tensor? Do you think it's useful? Would you say that it is physical, given that it depends on the choice of coordinates?
Well, I don't know what it is, so i have no opinion. I'll take a look.

sweet springs said:
in high school physics gravity potential energy mgh is familiar but it is not of tensor.
So many things in classical mechanics are not tensors, and if they are, they are only under a specific group. E.g., the Newton potential is only a scalar under the Galilei group but not under accelerations; dito for Newton's second law being vectorial (from which you can derive the former). And kinetic energy is not even a scalar under the Galilei group.

Likes dextercioby
Demystifier said:

I think the gravitational energy-momentum pseudo tensor is useful in the right circumstances, though I seem to recall that it's ambiguous. For instance, I recall seeing references to the Landau-Lifschitz pseudotensor in linearized gravity to distinguish it from other pseudotensors.

The lack of coordinate and gauge independence of the psuedotensors makes them not entirely satisfying as physical entities in my mind. But they're still useful in the right circumstances. One thing that bothers me is that the theoretical justification for their usefulness, asymptotically flatness, isn't a condition that's actually met in the FRW spacetimes used in cosmology.

On the general topic of tensors, one of the things that makes them so useful is that there is no need to specify a coordinate system. Sometimes coordinate based methods can be useful, and perhaps even easier. However, if one is going to use methods that depend on a particular choice of coordinates, I believe one has to communicate that choice clearly, so the reader knows when the results apply and when the results do not apply.

I think this is basically semantics, once we realize that some authorities (Wald) have defined coordinate-dependent tensors.

Likes Demystifier
atyy said:
I think this is basically semantics, once we realize that some authorities (Wald) have defined coordinate-dependent tensors.
You have to be more careful when you tell this joke. Some people may think you are serious.

Wald, p34: a Christoffel symbol is a tensor field associated ...

• Informative
Likes Demystifier
atyy said:

I thought the right hand side of the equation containing the Christoffel symbols was a Tensor field but not the individual symbols.

Cheers

atyy said:
I looked at that section the last time you mentioned it, but I thought you were joking. Apparently you are serious. Then I can only recommend that you read the whole section, and see how it is written in the context it is written. If you don't read the whole section but just search for the key words, then it is no surprise that you are confused.

It does not mean that if one has read the whole section, that one will not be confused.

Likes Demystifier
True, but you should at least try.