Can the Determinant of Similar Matrices be Proven Equal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrices
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Dustinsfl
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
5
Show that if A and B are similar matrices, then the det(A)=det(b).

I am not entirely sure how to start this proof.
I was thinking...
A=ai j

det(A)=[tex]\sum[/tex]ai j*(-1)i+j*Mi j from j=1 to n.

I am pretty much clueless on this one though and not sure if I am just throwing stuff on the wall hoping something will stick
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the definition of similar matrices. What do you know about determinants that you can apply to that equation?
 
Matrix A is similar to B if there exists S such that B=S-1*A*S
 
det(B)=det(S-1*A*S)=det(S-1)det(A)det(S)=det(S-1*S)det(A)=det(I)det(A)=det(A) thus, det(B)=det(A)

Remarkable easy.