Can the Volume of Revolution Be Negative?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
sam9734
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
There is a nice equation made by Nobuo Yamamoto which describes the curve of an egg and it is:

(x^2 + y^2)^2 = ax^3 + (3/10)xy^2, where a is the length of the major axis of the egg.

Solve this equation for y, we get:

y=+/- sqrt((3/20)ax - x^2 + xsqrt((7/10)ax + (9/400)a^2))

When I rotate the function around the x-axis by 2(pi), the result is a negative volume of (-1)((pi)(a^3))/12.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, or how I can fix this problem.

Can someone please help me out on this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
Show your work. How else might we see where you went wrong?
Sorry, new to this site.

I am using the positive case of the equation mentioned.
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

5.png
 
It looks like you didn't solve for ##y## correctly. I get
$$y = \sqrt{\left(\frac b2\right)x-x^2+x\sqrt{\left(\frac b2\right)^2+(a-b)x}}$$ where ##b=3/10##.

To integrate the term of the form ##x\sqrt{c+dx}##, try using the substitution ##u=c+dx##.
 
OK, so you have a typo in the equation in your first post. Your expression for ##y## is correct, but you didn't evaluate the third integral correctly.