Can Two Rectangles Form a Disjoint Union of Six?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AxiomOfChoice
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
AxiomOfChoice
Messages
531
Reaction score
1
Consider any two rectangles in the x-y plane. I have a book that asserts that the union of any two such rectangles is the DISJOINT union of AT MOST SIX rectangles. I've been sketching rectangles and simply can't come up with an example that demands SIX rectangles in the disjoint union. The most I can find is FIVE. Can someone come up with an example of two rectangles whose union is a disjoint union of six rectangles? Thanks!
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is there no more information? Are the rectangles closed, open, etc?

What is your 5-rect solution?