Open Sets of R^n: Countable Union of Open Rectangles/Balls?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sets
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
qspeechc
Messages
839
Reaction score
15
Hi

Ok, so I know open sets of the real line are the countable union of disjoint open intervals (or open balls). Does this in any way extent to R^n? Say, any open set in R^n is the countable union of open rectangles or balls? I ask because I was reading some proof, and at a crucial step they use the fact that open sets in R^n can be expressed as the countable union of open rectangles, and I have no idea where this comes from! It doesn't even seem plausible to me, if one considers the open ball in the plane-- how would you describe that as the union of countably many open rectangles?
I know every open set is the union of open balls, and maybe the Heine-Borel theorem comes in somewhere...but I'm just lost.
Any help?
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
qspeechc said:
I ask because I was reading some proof, and at a crucial step they use the fact that open sets in R^n can be expressed as the countable union of open rectangles, and I have no idea where this comes from! It doesn't even seem plausible to me, if one considers the open ball in the plane-- how would you describe that as the union of countably many open rectangles?

Hi qspeechc! :smile:

What's uncountable about it?

n times countable is still countable. :wink:

For your open ball, just keep halving the size of the rectangles … that'll do the job, won't it? :smile:
 
Errr...I'm not sure I follow you...? Are you saying I can go from the case of the real line to R^n with no difficulty?
 
qspeechc said:
Errr...I'm not sure I follow you...? Are you saying I can go from the case of the real line to R^n with no difficulty?

Yes. :smile:
 
Hhmm, actually I found a proof, and it has nothing to do with the case of the real line, lol. It has to do with the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals.