1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can u rust a magnet using vinegar and salt water in a reasonable time?

1. May 11, 2007 #1
    I have designed a science experiment for my project in which i see whether a magnet gets weaker when it rusts. So, i take a magnet that is not rusted and see how many paper clips it can pick it up. Then, i rust it and see how many paperclips it can pick up after that. I need to finish this project really soon and i need to know if vinegar and salt water can rust it in a reasonable time? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:surprised

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not sure about the vinegar, but salt water alone is pretty rude to metal. I suspect that your fastest method would be to immerse it, then leave it out in the air to dry. Do that a few times, to maximize the contact with oxygen.
    Do keep in mind that ferromagnetic materials such as recording tape are made from iron oxide (rust), so I don't think that rusting has much negative effect on magnetism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?