Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can u rust a magnet using vinegar and salt water in a reasonable time?

1. May 11, 2007 #1
    I have designed a science experiment for my project in which i see whether a magnet gets weaker when it rusts. So, i take a magnet that is not rusted and see how many paper clips it can pick it up. Then, i rust it and see how many paperclips it can pick up after that. I need to finish this project really soon and i need to know if vinegar and salt water can rust it in a reasonable time? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:surprised

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not sure about the vinegar, but salt water alone is pretty rude to metal. I suspect that your fastest method would be to immerse it, then leave it out in the air to dry. Do that a few times, to maximize the contact with oxygen.
    Do keep in mind that ferromagnetic materials such as recording tape are made from iron oxide (rust), so I don't think that rusting has much negative effect on magnetism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?