1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can we mimic a perpetual motion machien?

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    Good day to all!

I read a small article in MIT's engineering.edu page. The article talks about perpetual motion machines, it says that we cannot create one, but we can mimic it.
    My question is: how can we mimic this perpetual motion machine? Has it been mimicked before? And if yes, how?
    I hope you can help me answering these questions.
    Thank you!

Oh! The article I read was this:
    http://engineering.mit.edu/ask/it-possible-construct-perpetual-motion-machine [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

All he means is that we can build things that take a long time to stop whatever motion they are supposed to do. A pendulum that will stop swinging in seconds if left to its own devices can run for a week off the energy stored in a spring or a lifted weight.

4. Nov 30, 2016 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Or a Foucault pendulum may appear to some as a perpetual motion device until you understand how it works:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

Please note that some of these pendulums may have motors to keep them in motion to counter air resistance:

5. Nov 30, 2016 #4
    Has it been mimicked with electromagnetism or some mechanism that uses magnets?

6. Nov 30, 2016 #5

jedishrfu

I imagine you could hook up the motor to a solar panel and keep it recharged enough to run for a very long time which would be an approximation to perpetual motion.

If the system does some kind of work (moves against a frictional force as an example) then it will lose energy unless its replenished externally and that's why perpetual motion machines can't exist in nature (see link and quote below).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

7. Nov 30, 2016 #6

DrClaude

The answer in given in the article:

8. Nov 30, 2016 #7
    Thank you for all the fast replies!!

9. Nov 30, 2016 #8

jedishrfu

Thanks for all the responses so far, I think we have answered the OP's original question and now we can close this thread before perpetual motion can take over the discussion.

-- Jedi

10. Nov 30, 2016 #9

Ibix

Science Advisor

You forgot to lock it, so I'm just going to repeat the OP word for word and see what happens... :wink:

11. Nov 30, 2016 #10

jedishrfu

Closed now so as not to perpetuate the perpetual motion notion for another cycle of posts...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook