Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can we mimic a perpetual motion machien?

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    Good day to all!

I read a small article in MIT's engineering.edu page. The article talks about perpetual motion machines, it says that we cannot create one, but we can mimic it.
    My question is: how can we mimic this perpetual motion machine? Has it been mimicked before? And if yes, how?
    I hope you can help me answering these questions.
    Thank you!

Oh! The article I read was this:
    http://engineering.mit.edu/ask/it-possible-construct-perpetual-motion-machine [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

All he means is that we can build things that take a long time to stop whatever motion they are supposed to do. A pendulum that will stop swinging in seconds if left to its own devices can run for a week off the energy stored in a spring or a lifted weight.

4. Nov 30, 2016 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Or a Foucault pendulum may appear to some as a perpetual motion device until you understand how it works:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

Please note that some of these pendulums may have motors to keep them in motion to counter air resistance:

5. Nov 30, 2016 #4
    Has it been mimicked with electromagnetism or some mechanism that uses magnets?

6. Nov 30, 2016 #5

jedishrfu

I imagine you could hook up the motor to a solar panel and keep it recharged enough to run for a very long time which would be an approximation to perpetual motion.

If the system does some kind of work (moves against a frictional force as an example) then it will lose energy unless its replenished externally and that's why perpetual motion machines can't exist in nature (see link and quote below).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

7. Nov 30, 2016 #6

DrClaude

The answer in given in the article:

8. Nov 30, 2016 #7
    Thank you for all the fast replies!!

9. Nov 30, 2016 #8

jedishrfu

Thanks for all the responses so far, I think we have answered the OP's original question and now we can close this thread before perpetual motion can take over the discussion.

-- Jedi

10. Nov 30, 2016 #9

Ibix

Science Advisor

You forgot to lock it, so I'm just going to repeat the OP word for word and see what happens... :wink:

11. Nov 30, 2016 #10

jedishrfu

Closed now so as not to perpetuate the perpetual motion notion for another cycle of posts...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook