Can with water rotates -- the water forms a paraboloid

In summary, the angular velocity is ω, the radius of the vessel is R, and at rest the water has depth H. The face of the water form a paraboloid y=Ax2. find R for which the maximum height h of the water above the bottom doesn't depend on ω.
Karol

Homework Statement

The angular velocity is ω, R is the radius of the vessel. at rest the water has depth H.
The face of the water form a paraboloid y=Ax2. find R for which the maximum height h of the water above the bottom doesn't depend on ω.
Snap1.jpg

Homework Equations

Centripetal force: ##F=m \omega^2 r##

The Attempt at a Solution

The function of the water face is:
$$y=\frac{\omega^2}{2g}r^2$$
The volume under the paraboloid is ##V=\frac{\pi A}{2}R^4=\frac{\pi\omega^2}{2g}R^4##
The height of the highest point from the bottom, h, is derived from the difference between the volume at rest and the volume under the paraboloid:
$$\Delta V=\pi R^2 H-\frac{\pi\omega^2}{2g}R^4=\pi R^2 h\;\rightarrow\; h=H-\frac{\omega^2 R^2}{2g}R^2$$
If ##R^2=\frac{1}{\omega^2}## they cancel and ##h=H-\frac{1}{2g}## which doesn't include ω.
But that combination is for a specific ω, if ω changes R appears again, so what's the meaning of "R for which the maximum height h of the water above the bottom doesn't depend on ω"?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question makes no sense to me either. No matter what R is, varying w will change h.
Is this a translation?

yes, a translation, but i guess that's what they meant, i don't see anything else

Karol said:
yes, a translation, but i guess that's what they meant, i don't see anything else
There is one interpretation I can think of that might work.
Consider the height of the surface as h=h(r), 0<r<R. Is there a value of r such that h(r) is independent of w?

I made a mistake in calculating h but now no better:
Snap1.jpg
$$\pi R^2H=\frac{\pi\omega^2}{2g}R^4+\pi R^2h_1\;\rightarrow\; h_1=H-\frac{\omega^2R^2}{2g}$$
$$h=h_1+AR^2=H-\frac{\omega^2R^2}{2g}+\frac{\omega^2}{2g}R^2=H$$

Karol said:
##h=h_1+AR^2=H−\frac{ω^2R^2}{2g}+\frac{ω^2}{2g}R^2=H##
H cannot equal h.
I believe it should be ##h=H+\frac{ω^2R^2}{2g}##. That is, H is half way between h and h1.
Did you try my interpretation in post #4?

haruspex said:
H cannot equal h.
I believe it should be h=H+ω2R22gh=H+\frac{ω^2R^2}{2g}. That is, H is half way between h and h1.
Of course h≠H but how? i don't get ##h=H+\frac{ω^2R^2}{2g}##, and if
$$\pi R^2H=\frac{\pi\omega^2}{2g}R^4+\pi R^2h_1\;\rightarrow\; h_1=H-\frac{\omega^2R^2}{2g}$$
Is correct then i don't know how to reach it, and if i don't get the right expression for h i have difficulty thinking further.
Is it true that the volume under a concave paraboloid is ##V=\frac{\pi\omega^2}{2g}R^4##?

Karol said:
Of course h≠H but how? i don't get ##h=H+\frac{ω^2R^2}{2g}##, and if
Is correct then i don't know how to reach it, and if i don't get the right expression for h i have difficulty thinking further.
Is it true that the volume under a concave paraboloid is ##V=\frac{\pi\omega^2}{2g}R^4##?
In your post #5, how did you get the value of AR2? (I believe it is double the value you substituted.)
I agree with your expression for the volume under the paraboloid. Interestingly, it is also the volume above it, i.e. it is half the volume of the enclosing cylinder.

Karol said:
$$\pi R^2H=\frac{\pi\omega^2}{4g}R^4+\pi R^2h_1\;\rightarrow\; h_1=H-\frac{\omega^4R^2}{4g}$$
$$h=h_1+AR^2=H-\frac{\omega^4R^2}{4g}+\frac{\omega^2}{2g}R^2=H+\frac{\omega^4R^2}{4g}$$
The volume under a paraboloid is:
$$V=\frac{\pi\omega^2}{4g}R^4$$
I made a mistake earlier. i made a thread about it at the math forum:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/integral-area-of-a-revolved-parabola.845135/#post-5304042
Ok, so where does that leave us with answering this question? Did you try my interpretation yet?

$$h=h_1+AR^2=H+\frac{\omega^2R^2}{4g}$$
I don't see how to interpret h(r) as independent of ω. the only way i see is when r=1/ω and they both cancel, but i told that before. you said:
haruspex said:
No matter what R is, varying w will change h.

Karol said:
the only way i see is when r=1/ω
This absolutely cannot be true. Omega is an angular frequency and r is a length, they have strictly different physical dimensions. Anyway, this is not what haruspex is suggesting you to do.

Karol said:
$$h=h_1+AR^2=H+\frac{\omega^2R^2}{4g}$$
I don't see how to interpret h(r) as independent of ω. the only way i see is when r=1/ω and they both cancel, but i told that before. you said:
Maybe my use of h there is confusing you. Let's use x and y.
Let y=y(x) be the height of the surface at radius x. Can you find an x such that y does not depend on omega?

haruspex said:
Can you find an x such that y does not depend on omega?
And at that x, if i change ω won't y change? i mean, is that a "point" x?

Karol said:
And at that x, if i change ω won't y change? i mean, is that a "point" x?
It's a certain radius, yes. If you imagine the water profile as the rotation rate increases, it will dip in the middle and rise at the sides. So any two given profiles must intersect at some radius. The question is, is it the same radius all the time?

Snap1.jpg
$$h=h_1+AR^2=H+\frac{\omega^2R^2}{4g}\;\rightarrow\; y_1=h_1+A_1x^2,\;y_2=h_2+A_2x^2$$
$$y_1=y_2:\;h_1+A_1x^2=h_2+A_2x^2\;\rightarrow\; x=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$$
$$y_1=h_1+A_1\frac{1}{2}=H,\;y_2=H$$

Karol said:
View attachment 93268 $$h=h_1+AR^2=H+\frac{\omega^2R^2}{4g}\;\rightarrow\; y_1=h_1+A_1x^2,\;y_2=h_2+A_2x^2$$
$$y_1=y_2:\;h_1+A_1x^2=h_2+A_2x^2\;\rightarrow\; x=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$$
$$y_1=h_1+A_1\frac{1}{2}=H,\;y_2=H$$
Looks good.

Continuation (or should i post a new thread?):
What's the angular velocity ω0 at which the lowest point of the water touches the bottom.
I equal volumes:
$$\pi R^2H=\frac{\omega^4}{4g}R^2\;\rightarrow\; \omega_0^2=\frac{4gH}{R^2}$$
At this ω0 the bottle is placed on a smooth table. there is friction between the water and the bottle. the final angular velocity of the bottle is ω1. express it using ω0. it's given that at this stage the height difference between the highest and lowest points on the water surface is H.
Snap1.jpg
what's the moment of inertia of the bottle.
I found the moment of inertia of the water at ω0 to be:
$$I_0=\pi \frac{\rho \omega_0^2 R^6}{6g}=\frac{2}{3} \pi \rho HR^4$$
From ##y=Ar^2## i find ω1:
$$H=\frac{\omega_1^2}{2g}R^2\;\rightarrow\; \omega_1^2=\frac{2gH}{R^2}$$
I want to find h1. from the formula in post #9:
$$h_1=H-\frac{\omega_1^4R^2}{4g}=...=\frac{H}{2}$$
The moment of inertia of a solid cylinder: ##I=\frac{1}{2}mr^2##
The moment of inertia of the paraboloid+the cylinder:
$$I_{W}=\frac{\pi\rho HR^4}{3}+\frac{1}{2}\pi\rho h_1R^4=...=\frac{7}{2}\pi\rho HR^4$$
Initial angular momentum:
$$I_0\omega_0=\frac{4}{3}\pi\rho HR^3\sqrt{gH}$$
Conservation of angular momentum: ##I_0\omega_0=(I_W+I_B)\omega_1##
$$\frac{4}{3} \pi \rho HR^3 \sqrt{gH}=\left( \frac{7}{2} \pi \rho HR^4 \right) \frac{\sqrt{2}\sqrt{gH}}{R}$$
$$\rightarrow\; I_B=\left( \frac{8\sqrt{2}-7}{12} \right)\pi\rho HR^4$$

Karol said:
$$\rightarrow\; I_B=\left( \frac{8\sqrt{2}-7}{12} \right)\pi\rho HR^4$$
I get the same IB.

Speaking apparently from a base of pure ignorance, I always thought that the cross section of the surface of water rotating like that was a catenary, like a free-hanging rope, not a parabola. I have no math or physics to back that up, it's just something that I heard (or made up?) MANY years ago and never had occasion to question it. I take it I'm wrong about that ?

phinds said:
Speaking apparently from a base of pure ignorance, I always thought that the cross section of the surface of water rotating like that was a catenary, like a free-hanging rope, not a parabola. I have no math or physics to back that up, it's just something that I heard (or made up?) MANY years ago and never had occasion to question it. I take it I'm wrong about that ?
Yup, it is a parabola. With the effective potential in the rotating frame, this is the shape of the equipotential surfaces.

Orodruin said:
Yup, it is a parabola. With the effective potential in the rotating frame, this is the shape of the equipotential surfaces.
OK, thanks.

phinds said:
Consider the FBD for a particle on the surface at radius x. No vertical acceleration so ##N\cos(\theta)=mg##, where ##\tan(\theta)=\frac{dy}{dx}##. Centripetal acceleration = ##N\sin(\theta)=mx\omega^2##. Solve.

Thank you all. Haruspex and the rest

1. Can a can filled with water rotate?

Yes, a can filled with water can rotate. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which states that an object will continue rotating unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does the rotation of the can affect the water inside?

The rotation of the can causes the water inside to move in a circular motion, creating a paraboloid shape. This is because the water is pulled towards the outer edges of the can due to centrifugal force.

3. What is a paraboloid?

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional curved shape that resembles a parabola. It is formed when a two-dimensional parabola is rotated around its axis.

4. Why does the water form a paraboloid shape?

The water forms a paraboloid shape due to the combination of the can's rotation and the gravitational force acting on the water. This creates a balanced shape where the outward centrifugal force is equal to the downward gravitational force.

5. What factors can affect the formation of a paraboloid in a rotating can of water?

The factors that can affect the formation of a paraboloid in a rotating can of water include the speed of rotation, the size and shape of the can, the amount of water inside, and external forces such as air resistance. These factors can influence the balance between the centrifugal and gravitational forces, resulting in a different shaped paraboloid or no paraboloid at all.