1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you apply Stoke's theorem to this?

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the surface area of a hemi-sphere of radius 6 centered at the origin above the xy-plane lying outside the cylinder r2 = 9

3. The attempt at a solution

I did a lot of algebra using the hard way by setting [tex]z = \sqrt{6^2 - x^2 - y^2}[/tex] and use the formula

[tex]A(S) = \iint \sqrt{1 + \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)^2} dA[/tex]

Did a lot of messy algebra and got 324π

Is there an easier way to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2
    If you could, wouldn't that imply that the surface area of any figure with the same bounding curve be 324π? Also I don't see how you would get the surface area in terms of curl of a vector field.

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3
    Surface area somehow relates to surface integral...

Never mind, I will trsut in my own answer.

5. Jul 14, 2011 #4
    Yes, but not necessarily to the curl of a vector field.

6. Jul 14, 2011 #5
    Stoke's theorem says that the surface integral of the curl of a vector field is equal to the loop integral of the vector field over the bounding curve, right?

7. Jul 14, 2011 #6
    Yeah....?

8. Jul 14, 2011 #7
    Never mind, it seems Hurkyl deleted that post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook