Can you find tension on a string without mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a pulley system with three masses, two of which are connected to a center mass on top of a table. The mass on the right is twice the mass of the one on the left. The speaker clarifies that the system is in mechanical equilibrium and provides a free body diagram for each mass. The other person recommends drawing a free body diagram and asks about the forces acting on each mass. The speaker confirms that they have already drawn a diagram and discusses setting the sum of forces on each mass to zero.
faisalcrazy
So my pulley system has 3 masses two of which are connected to a center mass on top of a table. No mass was given for any of the objects but of two masses hanging from the table, the one on the right is 2 times the mass on the left. I hope I haven't confused you but its like a three step diagram so I'm going to try make a picture for you

M2(free weight)-----^M1(on table)------M3(free weight,X2 the mass)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the weights supposed to be in mechanical equilibrium? I recommend drawing a free body diagram for each mass.

Geofleur said:
Are the weights supposed to be in mechanical equilibrium? I recommend drawing a free body diagram for each mass.

Yes they are and I have! it was also given with a free body diagram that's why I tried to draw it out for you

What forces do you get acting on each mass? What happens when you set the sum of the forces on each mass to zero?

1. Can tension exist on a string without any mass attached?

Yes, tension can exist on a string without any mass attached. Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string or other object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. The presence or absence of mass does not affect the existence of tension on a string.

2. How can tension be measured on a string without mass?

Tension can be measured on a string without mass by using a tension meter or a force gauge. These devices can accurately measure the amount of force being applied to a string, regardless of whether there is any mass attached to it or not.

3. Is the tension on a string without mass different from a string with mass?

No, the tension on a string without mass is not different from a string with mass. The tension on a string is determined by the amount of force acting on it, not the presence of mass. Therefore, a string without any mass can have the same amount of tension as a string with mass, as long as the same amount of force is applied.

4. Can tension on a string without mass affect its properties?

Yes, tension on a string without mass can affect its properties. For example, a string with higher tension will vibrate at a higher frequency and produce a higher pitch when plucked, regardless of whether it has any mass attached to it or not.

5. Why is it important to understand tension on a string without mass?

It is important to understand tension on a string without mass because it is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in various applications, such as musical instruments, engineering structures, and even in our everyday lives. Understanding tension can help us predict and control the behavior of strings and other objects under tension, leading to more efficient and effective designs and applications.