Can you get a healthy diet without adding salt to food?

• Medical
  • Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food Salt
In summary: If you are on a western diet, you have enough salt already. Look at your packages, most of the foods say Na on it.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Considering one is in good shape and exercise a few times a week, can he have a healthy diet without adding sea/table salt to his food?
I think there's salt in many products that one eats so I wonder if adding salt to food is necessary to have a good diet and therefore, health.

Biology news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
Considering one is in good shape and exercise a few times a week, can he have a healthy diet without adding sea/table salt to his food?
I think there's salt in many products that one eats so I wonder if adding salt to food is necessary to have a good diet and therefore, health.

Yes, I think you can get a healthy diet without adding salt to food, it just takes like ka-ka. ;)

If you eat mostly whole foods and don't have easy access to seafood, it would be wise to add a little iodized salt. Iodine is essential for good thyroid function.

turbo said:
If you eat mostly whole foods and don't have easy access to seafood, it would be wise to add a little iodized salt. Iodine is essential for good thyroid function.

Yeah basically I was wondering about goitre and the other effects of a lack of salt/iodine. But my doubt is, is it still possible to lack salt despite eating vegetables, fruits, cereals, etc. (healthy diet)?

the cardiology people will tell you to cut down on salt to prevent hypertension

About 80% of average sodium intake is in processed foods and only ~ 10% is added at the table or in cooking.

bohm2 said:
About 80% of average sodium intake is in processed foods and only ~ 10% is added at the table or in cooking.
My wife and I eat whole foods, pasta, and some breads. No processed food here, so we are not overloaded with salt nor preservatives.

turbo said:
My wife and I eat whole foods, pasta, and some breads. No processed food here, so we are not overloaded with salt nor preservatives.

Pasta mixed dishes (e.g. with sauce) and breads are 2 of the top 10 sources of sodium in the diet and both are considered processed:
Forty-four percent of sodium consumed came from 10 food categories: bread and rolls, cold cuts/cured meats, pizza, poultry, soups, sandwiches, cheese, pasta mixed dishes, meat mixed dishes, and savory snacks.
Vital Signs: Food Categories Contributing the Most to Sodium Consumption — United States, 2007–2008
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm61e0207.pdf

Ok guys so all indicates that not adding salt to your food cannot make harm, right?

fluidistic said:
Ok guys so all indicates that not adding salt to your food cannot make harm, right?
If you have regular additions of seafood to your diet, you might be fine. Otherwise, you should look at adding iodized salt to your diet. You don't need much iodine in your diet, but you do need some.

turbo said:
If you have regular additions of seafood to your diet, you might be fine. Otherwise, you should look at adding iodized salt to your diet. You don't need much iodine in your diet, but you do need some.

Ok, I think tuna will do the job. :smile:

If you are on a western diet, you have enough salt already. Look at your packages, most of the foods say Na on it

1. Why is it important to limit salt intake in a healthy diet?

Excessive consumption of salt can lead to high blood pressure, which increases the risk of heart disease and stroke. It can also contribute to other health issues such as kidney disease, osteoporosis, and stomach cancer. Therefore, limiting salt intake is essential for maintaining overall health and preventing chronic diseases.

2. Can you still get enough nutrients without adding salt to food?

Yes, it is possible to get all the necessary nutrients without adding salt to food. Many whole foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins, contain naturally occurring sodium. Additionally, there are many herbs, spices, and other flavorings that can be used to enhance the taste of food without adding salt.

3. How much salt should be consumed in a healthy diet?

The American Heart Association recommends limiting daily salt intake to no more than 2,300 milligrams (mg), which is about one teaspoon. However, for individuals with high blood pressure, diabetes, or kidney disease, the recommended limit is 1,500 mg per day. It is important to read food labels and be mindful of the salt content in processed and packaged foods.

4. Are there any health benefits to cutting out salt from the diet?

Yes, there are several health benefits to reducing salt intake in the diet. Some studies have shown that a low-salt diet can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. It can also improve kidney function and bone health. Additionally, cutting out salt can help reduce bloating and water retention, leading to a slimmer appearance.

5. Is it safe to completely eliminate salt from the diet?

No, it is not safe to completely eliminate salt from the diet. Our bodies need a small amount of sodium for proper functioning, such as maintaining fluid balance and nerve and muscle function. It is recommended to limit salt intake, but not eliminate it entirely. Consult with a healthcare professional before making any drastic changes to your diet.