Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Can you get a healthy diet without adding salt to food?

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

Considering one is in good shape and exercise a few times a week, can he have a healthy diet without adding sea/table salt to his food?
    I think there's salt in many products that one eats so I wonder if adding salt to food is necessary to have a good diet and therefore, health.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Yes, I think you can get a healthy diet without adding salt to food, it just takes like ka-ka. ;)

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

If you eat mostly whole foods and don't have easy access to seafood, it would be wise to add a little iodized salt. Iodine is essential for good thyroid function.

5. Jul 25, 2012 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Yeah basically I was wondering about goitre and the other effects of a lack of salt/iodine. But my doubt is, is it still possible to lack salt despite eating vegetables, fruits, cereals, etc. (healthy diet)?

6. Jul 25, 2012 #5
    the cardiology people will tell you to cut down on salt to prevent hypertension

7. Jul 25, 2012 #6
    About 80% of average sodium intake is in processed foods and only ~ 10% is added at the table or in cooking.

8. Jul 25, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I eat whole foods, pasta, and some breads. No processed food here, so we are not overloaded with salt nor preservatives.

9. Jul 25, 2012 #8
    Pasta mixed dishes (e.g. with sauce) and breads are 2 of the top 10 sources of sodium in the diet and both are considered processed:
    Vital Signs: Food Categories Contributing the Most to Sodium Consumption — United States, 2007–2008
    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm61e0207.pdf

10. Jul 25, 2012 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok guys so all indicates that not adding salt to your food cannot make harm, right?

11. Jul 25, 2012 #10

turbo

Gold Member

If you have regular additions of seafood to your diet, you might be fine. Otherwise, you should look at adding iodized salt to your diet. You don't need much iodine in your diet, but you do need some.

12. Jul 25, 2012 #11

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok, I think tuna will do the job. :smile:

13. Jul 25, 2012 #12
    If you are on a western diet, you have enough salt already. Look at your packages, most of the foods say Na on it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook