Can you live without a cell phone?

• Thread starter Williams.235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary: I'm pretty much just a phone person now.In summary, people have different opinions on cell phones. Some people find them helpful, while others don't use them. Some people have them for emergencies, while others don't.

Do you carry a cellphone?

• Yes, I carry a cellphone.

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No, I don't carry a cellphone.

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
lisab said:
not Nearly As Cool As This Guy...

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8/phonedorknt7.jpg
[/URL]

Ahahhaahha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Technology improves every day
http://www.foundgarbage.com/images/hands-free-mobile-01.jpg
http://content.humorpix.com/images/2848/p001.jpg
http://pictures-of-cat.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/cat-play-the-cell-phone.bmp
Spam spam spam

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one. I need a phone and I have never had my own landline. I use my phone for work. I am largely unsupervised and on location alone so I need to be able to contact my supervisor. I call and/or text my coworkers to receive and pass along information. I also use my phone for my internet connection and google maps on my phone to get directions for new job sites. It's really handy and one of only a few major expenses I have.

I could definitely live without a cellphone, but they are very convenient.

I can't stand those bluetooth headsets.. As you stated, they look stupid. That, of course, is just my opinion. But, I often get just a little paranoid when I think they're talking to me as they pass.

Williams.235 said:
I have a few friends who live without one and I can't understand how they do it. What do you all think?

Not only do I live without a cell phone, I also live without a roof over my head or a car.

I have an old one (4 years old) which I use about once every 3 months. The money accumulates on it :smile: It gives me a feeling of security that if I have a problem, I can call someone. I also call regularly my cell phone... to know where I left it :smile:
Sometimes it can be useful. The most interesting use I ever had was when friends came to visit us, and they got lost in the town, so I tried to find them ('we're driving by a school' - 'on your left side ?' - 'yes' - 'pull over, I think I know where you are, I'll be there in 5 minutes...' - 'ok' ... - 'I'm now at the gate of that school, do you see me, I'm waving...' - 'nope' - 'ok, then that was not the right school, I'll try another one...' - 'oh, wait, is that you ?' ...)

Once a saleman asked me how often I use my cellphone per month. I replied, zero point thirty three. He looked strangely at me, then said, "never mind", and left me alone :tongue:

A cell phone can be invaluable for the logistics of small groups. No longer do I have to make multiple contingency plans in case we get seperated. I use my cell phone about once a day on during the week, and 2-3 times on the weekend.

Foe emergency use only and long distance calls... Because it's a pre-pay $12.50/ month

As long as you top up before the expiry, the minutes/dollar value accumulates.
I have $125 built up over about two years.

I need long distance friends. NOt emergencies.

offtheleft said:
My iPhones is a little over the top but, I also have a basic cellphone.
How do you like your iPhone?

brewnog said:
I carry one. But I think I'd probably remain alive if I stopped carrying one, for whatever reason.

My thoughts exactly.

I had one as a kid, back in the early 90s when cell phones were becoming popular. Ever since about 2000 though, I've quit and never looked back. True, there are many cases where I wish I had one as it would make gathering with lost people easier. And its nice to have a private line. On the whole though, I don't think a cell is neccessary/

Well, I think texting revolutionized communication.

I know people say... But you're NOT actually talking to the person.

That's a lie. Since yesterday, I used text to meet up with friends in the bar to have a drink. Or before that to meet up with someone for lunch. The bars and downtown is very crowded so when you decide to have a drink together or get lunch at the last minute, it's very difficult to find each other. Texting it made it so much easier. Simply text when you get there and where they can find you. No need to make a call in a busy environment where you would hear nothing because of all the noise (bars or downtown).

Monique said:
How do you like your iPhone?

I LOVE it, actually. I never had a problem with it yet. I use it mainly for the internet and iPod but for those two things, its way worth the money. Phone wise, I always have service and have never had a dropped call(this is on at&t). My other cell-phone is on verizon's network(all my family and friends have verizon[reason I keep the other one around])

I have a cellphone too, I think it is somewhere on the floor of my room.

vanesch said:
Sometimes it can be useful. The most interesting use I ever had was when friends came to visit us, and they got lost in the town, so I tried to find them ('we're driving by a school' - 'on your left side ?' - 'yes' - 'pull over, I think I know where you are, I'll be there in 5 minutes...' - 'ok' ... - 'I'm now at the gate of that school, do you see me, I'm waving...' - 'nope' - 'ok, then that was not the right school, I'll try another one...' - 'oh, wait, is that you ?' ...)
Yep, those are the situations where I'm glad I have it. Also good for meeting people in new places. "I'm at the train station." ... "Okay, I'll meet you there... I've just arrived and am waiting outside." ..."Which entrance?" ... "The south side of the station." ..."Which side is south?" ..."Nevermind, I'll just park and find you inside. Where are you standing?" ...

JasonRox said:
No need to make a call in a busy environment where you would hear nothing because of all the noise (bars or downtown).

That's one of the rare reasons I'll opt for text messaging rather than calling. If I'm not someplace noisy, I can just call people much faster than I can text them. But, if we're out at a bar, or I've even run into this problem at conferences when it gets really noisy in the convention center and I'm trying to give someone directions where to meet me, then it's quite useful to be able to read the message instead of trying to hear it.