Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you live without a cell phone?

1. Yes, I carry a cellphone.

30 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. No, I don't carry a cellphone.

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    I have a few friends who live without one and I can't understand how they do it. What do you all think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I carry one. But I think I'd probably remain alive if I stopped carrying one, for whatever reason.

4. Jul 30, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a teenage daughter - don't know how we would ever talk to each other if we didn't have cell phones :rolleyes: .

5. Jul 30, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have a cellphone because it's free, but before that I went years without one. They are nice to carry with you in case of an emergency. Aside from that I rarely use mine.

I have friends that don't have one, these are the same people that don't have tv's either, come to think of it.

6. Jul 30, 2008 #5
    I have a cell phone but I never touch it. My parents gave it to me.

I always have my laptop with me :) and I cannot live without it!

7. Jul 30, 2008 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a cell phone to the exclusion of a land line. I don't use it that much, though.

8. Jul 30, 2008 #7

tmc

No cellphone. My pockets are full enough as it is.

I use payphones when I really need to reach someone.

9. Jul 30, 2008 #8

Borek

I have one and I enjoy it - in many situations it makes live much easier. But if I forget to take it with me when leaving home, that's not a big deal, I can live without it.

10. Jul 30, 2008 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a cell phone. If I didn't have my own, my job would give me one since I'm on call for emergencies once in a while. Without at least a pager, I'd have to stay home by the phone when I'm on call. Considering I've actually been called in 3 times in 6 years, staying home awaiting an emergency would suck.

11. Jul 30, 2008 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have a cellphone, my wife doesn't have a cellphone, and our daughter has yet to pester us for one.

12. Jul 30, 2008 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have one but I've never used it since I got it. So now it resides in its box in my drawer.

13. Jul 30, 2008 #12

berkeman

I didn't used to carry a cell phone, but as I got more involved in ERT/EMT activities (emergency response teams & medical), it became clear to me that it was a very necessary tool. If I weren't involved in those types of activities, I'm not sure I would carry one...

14. Jul 30, 2008 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have one, I take pride in that it is already 5 years old :tongue: (some people get a new one every 6 mo.). The keys have worn away, so I probably need to replace it some day. Who wouldn't want to be able to get in touch with someone when you need to?

15. Jul 30, 2008 #14
    My mother "offered" one to me so she can call me. But nobody will force a TV in my home. Otherwise, I'm out :smile:

16. Jul 30, 2008 #15
    I carry a cell phone, but could easily do without. My daughter, on the other hand, would DIE if she lost hers.

17. Jul 30, 2008 #16
    wow, my mom also did the same thing - but I hardly ever take it with me :approve:.

18. Jul 30, 2008 #17
    And then you see parents claiming their kinds can't get off their phones... The question is thus "with whom are they talking !?"

19. Jul 30, 2008 #18

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have one, but seldom use it, and never to "just talk".

20. Jul 30, 2008 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I'm in the lab in the weekends I always carry my cellphone on me, I don't feel safe without it since most of the building (especially the campus) is deserted. It is also very handy to let your significant other know you will be home soon and that dinner can be served :smile: It's for these kind of messages that it is useful. Oh, and it is also a perfect alarm clock :biggrin:

21. Jul 30, 2008 #20

wolram

Gold Member

I have had 2 and lost both of them, i never used them any way and since they were pay as you go i have not even bothered looking for them, they are probably with my boots some where.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?