1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you merge these equations and get acceleration

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1
    m*a=k*Q1*Q2/r
    equalizing newton's first law and coulomb's force to get acceleration of the specific charged body.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2
    I see one equation. And yes, solving for acceleration is as simple as dividing one factor to the other side (note: you are missing the square on your factor 'r').

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3
    Thanks, and because force changes across distance then acceleration wouldn't be constant so is this a valid formula

5. Jun 11, 2015 #4
    I trield very hard to solve this equation, i came up with numerical solution, but the exact solution is a bessel x'' = kQq/(x^2 + y^2), a second order differential equation, good luck !

6. Jun 11, 2015 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

7. Jun 11, 2015 #6
    For sure there are more competent members here to answer this but I don't think it is possible to merge these two equations since ther nature of the two forces involved is different.

8. Jun 11, 2015 #7
    Answer: kind of.

The acceleration is valid for the 'initial' acceleration of the charges. The problem is not that the acceleration varies with position (of course, what you have is a differential equation), the problem is that, once the charges are accelerating, Coulomb's force law is no longer valid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook