Can you skip some material in a physics book?

In summary: Electronics for Scientists: In SummaryThere is a book that I would like to read, "Electronics for Scientists", but it has physics as a prerequisite and I will not be able to take a physics course till next year. I am 5 chapters into "Fundamentals of Physics Halliday & Resnick", but I will have to read several hundred pages until I arrive at the electricity and magnetism section. Would it be alright if I just skipped to that section? It looks like it would be, but I would rather take your guy's advice. And I will be doing the rest next year anyways. I just need the information on circuits and components for a project I have in mind.Or if you guys know of
andrewkg
There is a book that I would like to read "Electronics for scientists" but it has physics as a prerequisite and I will not be able to take a physics course till next year (I would just take the one at my high school but the teacher is not very good and I would rather start with a calculus based approach). I am 5 chapters into "Fundamentals of Physics Halliday & Resnick", but I will have to read several hundred pages until I arrive at the electricity and magnetism section. Would it be alright if I just skipped to that section? It looks like it would be, but I would rather take your guy's advice. And I will be doing the rest next year anyways. I just need the information on circuits and components for a project I have in mind. Or if you guys know of any good resources on semiconductors, transistors, and sensors. Well the project involves using the CCD or CMOS sensors contained within cellphones. In fact if anyone just know where the is a book about has any suggestion on how the digital camera works in and out software to hardware that would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Really? No one has any suggestions? It seems pretty simple. Do you need to read the thermodynamics and wave & light sections to understand the electromagnetism section?

For electronics? I can't recall ever needing to use either thermodynamics or wave mechanics to understand semiconductors, transistors, op amps, and the like. To understand electromagnetism in general, on the other hand, I would certainly recommend learning wave mechanics. Mind you, there are only certain topics where wave physics comes into play any substantial amount, and even then I would imagine it's not necessary to go through the entire section on waves.

But again, for electronics, I can't recall either topics ever being useful.

Likes 1 person
Thank you both! I will definitely look into that book as well.

1. Can I skip sections in a physics book?

Yes, you can skip sections in a physics book, but it is not recommended. Skipping sections may cause gaps in your understanding of the subject and make it difficult to fully grasp more complex concepts later on.

2. Is it okay to only study the important topics in a physics book?

No, it is not recommended to only study the important topics in a physics book. Each topic builds upon the previous ones, and skipping sections may make it difficult to fully understand the important topics.

3. How do I know which sections to skip in a physics book?

It is not recommended to skip sections in a physics book, but if you must, consult with your teacher or a knowledgeable individual to determine which sections are not essential for your learning goals.

4. Will skipping sections affect my overall understanding of physics?

Skipping sections in a physics book may affect your overall understanding of the subject. Each section builds upon the previous ones, and skipping sections may cause gaps in your understanding of the subject.

5. Can I skip sections and still do well on exams?

You may be able to do well on exams by skipping sections in a physics book, but it is not recommended. Exams often cover material from the entire book, so skipping sections may make it difficult to answer questions correctly.