Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 2,561
- 4
I think it says:AKG said:I don't get it.
That works -- when I originally heard it, it was pronounced:The integral from 1 to the cube root of three
Of zee squared dee zee
Times the cosine of 3pi by nine
Equals the log of the cube root of e
ROFL! Were you my high school math teacher?shmoe said:Well done. Out of a typical first year calculus class, usually one or two students will shout out "log cabin", causing much groaning in the classroom. I then get to proclaim "Close, it's actually a houseboat" and get confused stares. "You forgot the C!" prompts even louder groans, a double whammy.
That's awesome! My only issue is that it wouldn't really work where I live, since "z" isn't pronounced with an "eee" sound here.Hurkyl said:That works -- when I originally heard it, it was pronounced:
The integral of the square of 'z',
From one to the cube root of three,
Multiplied by cosine,
Of three pi over nine,
Is the log of the cube root of 'e'.
I think it's a little more poetic this way, but yours is good too! Actually, I fiddled with it a bit to see if I could get it a bit more rhythmic (since it seems a bit clumsy to me), but without success.
Quadratic said:That's awesome! My only issue is that it wouldn't really work where I live, since "z" isn't pronounced with an "eee" sound here.
I'm pretty sure the US is the only english-speaking country that pronounces it as "zee". It's just like the spelling of colour, flavour, etc., and the way the word "schedule" is pronounced. When I first saw a "Lay-Z-Boy" store, I was like "... huh?". Anyway, just change the z into something like T or B, and the poem works just fine all around.quasar987 said:French fourier_jr?
jtbell said:Q: Why do computer scientists always confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because 31 OCT(al) = 25 DEC(imal).
uvic, aka university of victoria (i hope that's more than 10 characters)quasar987 said:Which university?
yeah i think that's kind of a reference to fermat who left his note in the margin of a book saying... well everyone knows that. hilbert said if he were to wake up after sleeping for 1000yrs the 1st thing he'd do is ask whether the riemann hypothesis has been proven or not. i think i'd do what austin powers did, take a huge pee.Bob3141592 said:"Have solved the Riemann Hypothesis" - G.H. Hardy
For anyone here who doesn't know the story, Hardy wrote this on a postcard to a colleague just before embarking on a stormy sea voyage. Hardy (an atheist) felt God wouldn't allow him to perish with such a claim to fame.
Here's a more elaborate version (the longer setup makes it funnier, IMO) I found http://homepage.mac.com/ehgoins/iblog/B335600579/C307790143/E20050730135430/index.html :Pseudo Statistic said:Got it off some site... but it was explained differently.
The cocky exponential function e^x is strolling along the road insulting the functions he sees walking by. He scoffs at a wandering polynomial for the shortness of its Taylor series. He snickers at a passing smooth function of compact support and its glaring lack of a convergent power series about many of its points. He positively laughs as he passes |x| for being nondifferentiable at the origin. He smiles, thinking to himself, "Damn, it's great to be e^x. I'm real analytic everywhere. I'm my own derivative. I blow up faster than anybody and shrink faster too. All the other functions suck."
Lost in his own egomania, he collides with the constant function 3, who is running in terror in the opposite direction.
"What's wrong with you? Why don't you look where you're going?" demands e^x. He then sees the fear in 3's eyes and says "You look terrified!"
"I am!" says the panicky 3. "There's a differential operator just around the corner. If he differentiates me, I'll be reduced to nothing! I've got to get away!" With that, 3 continues to dash off.
"Stupid constant," thinks e^x. "I've got nothing to fear from a differential operator. He can keep differentiating me as long as he wants, and I'll still be there."
So he scouts off to find the operator and gloat in his smooth glory. He rounds the corner and defiantly introduces himself to the operator. "Hi. I'm e^x."
"Hi. I'm d / dy."