Can You Subtract Vectors in Spherical Coordinates to Find Distance?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
FrogPad
Messages
801
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

Would someone please re-enlighten me.

Say I have a vector in spherical coordinates:

[tex]\vec r_1 = \phi \hat{\phi} + \theta \hat{\theta} + R \hat{R}[/tex]

Where [tex]r, \theta, R[/tex] are scalars and the corresponding hat notation is the unit vectors.

Say, I form a new vector [tex]r_2[/tex] in spherical coordinates.

Would the distance from r_1 to r_2 be given by the norm of r_2-r_1.


What I'm trying to ask is this:
1) In rectangular coordinates I can find the vector from one point to another, via V_ab = V_b - V_a
2) If I have two vectors in spherical coordinates, can I find the distance from one point to another with subtraction? Or do I need to convert the spherical vectors to rectangular, and then perform the subtraction.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FrogPad! :smile:
FrogPad said:
1) In rectangular coordinates I can find the vector from one point to another, via V_ab = V_b - V_a
2) If I have two vectors in spherical coordinates, can I find the distance from one point to another with subtraction? Or do I need to convert the spherical vectors to rectangular, and then perform the subtraction.

Your suspicion is correct … you certanily can't use subtraction. :smile:

Either convert to rectangular, or use the cosine rule:

r122 = r12 + r22 - 2r1r2cosθ,

where in two dimensions θ = θ1 - θ2, but in three dimensions θ is a lot more complicated! :rolleyes: :frown: :wink: