Can YouTube videos be translated on phones for ELLs?

In summary: Do you also have someone translate the exam and what they wrote as answers? Any of these students plan to go on to grad school and may have to take graduate standardized tests? Are any of them offered in their native language?"This is not necessary, as the videos on the website I linked will do the job just fine.In summary, many foreign language students do not have computers at home, only phones, and I have unsuccessfully tried to find ways for translated subtitles to appear in YouTube videos when played on a phone. Does anyone here have a solution?
SamRoss
Gold Member
Many of my foreign language students do not have computers at home, only phones. I have tried unsuccessfully to find ways for translated subtitles to appear in YouTube videos when played on a phone. Does anyone here have a solution? (Specific solutions for Android, iPhone, and Galaxy would be greatly appreciated.)

Science news on Phys.org
This works for me on computer:
To translate your video from a foreign language:

Click on the “Settings” icon, select “Subtitles/CC,” and then click “Auto Translate.” A list of languages you can translate into will be displayed. Select “English.”
You’ll see that the subtitles have automatically been translated into English. While everything won’t be translated with 100 percent accuracy, the whole idea is that you can at least get a rough translation so you can easily follow along.
https://ignitevisibility.com/how-to-easily-translate-youtube-videos-in-new-languages/
On iphone just touch the captions icon and select the language.

Likes berkeman
Keith_McClary said:
On iphone just touch the captions icon and select the language.

What version of iphone do you have? Are you sure it will translate into multiple languages?

SamRoss said:
What version of iphone do you have?
The translation is done at the youtube website, not by the phone. Here is another explanation . In the illustrations where it says "English" is where you need to click.

SamRoss said:
Many of my foreign language students do not have computers at home, only phones. I have tried unsuccessfully to find ways for translated subtitles to appear in YouTube videos when played on a phone. Does anyone here have a solution? (Specific solutions for Android, iPhone, and Galaxy would be greatly appreciated.)

Wait... this may appear to be obvious, but WHY do your "foreign language students" need to have a translation done for these videos? When you teach them in class (assuming that was what you did before all this), did you have to speak in several different languages for them to understand you? How many languages do you speak?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Wait... this may appear to be obvious, but WHY do your "foreign language students" need to have a translation done for these videos? When you teach them in class (assuming that was what you did before all this), did you have to speak in several different languages for them to understand you? How many languages do you speak?

Zz.

Good question. In class, the students who are stronger in English could translate for the less fluent ones. I also made use of the website https://translatr.varunmalhotra.xyz/ which allowed me to translate sentences into multiple languages at once on the SmartBoard.

Keith_McClary said:

This will get English subtitles on, but foreign languages doesn't seem to be an option.

SamRoss said:
This will get English subtitles on, but foreign languages doesn't seem to be an option.
Here is a short video that shows how to do it on a computer.

On a phone I think you have 3 dots on the upper right instead of the 6 tooth gear.

SamRoss said:
Good question. In class, the students who are stronger in English could translate for the less fluent ones. I also made use of the website https://translatr.varunmalhotra.xyz/ which allowed me to translate sentences into multiple languages at once on the SmartBoard.

but shouldn't they be learning this in English? After all, they came here to learn, not stayed at their home countries.

It appears that you are, for lack of a better word, enabling their handicap in English. The incentive to learn it in English isn't that crucial if someone is translating it for them.

Do you also have someone translate the exam and what they wrote as answers? Any of these students plan to go on to grad school and may have to take graduate standardized tests? Are any of them offered in their native language?

Zz.

Last edited:
Keith_McClary said:
Here is a short video that shows how to do it on a computer.

I know how to do it on a computer and made a video for my students showing them how to do it. I was really more interested in doing it on a phone. That option seems to simply be unavailable right now. I appreciate your assistance, though.

ZapperZ said:
but shouldn't they be learning this in English? After all, they came here to learn, not stayed at their home countries.

It appears that you are, for lack of a better word, enabling their handicap in English. The incentive to learn it in English isn't that crucial if someone is translating it for them.

Do you also have someone translate the exam and what they wrote as answers? Any of these students plan to go on to grad school and may have to take graduate standardized tests? Are any of them offered in their native language?

Zz.

Your comments are, for lack of a better word, inane for multiple reasons.
1. "It appears you are... enabling their handicap in English."
The students get plenty of practice in English. For one, they take an English class. Secondly, even with the assistance of other students and the sentences I translate for them on the SmartBoard, the majority of what they're hearing (including all the words that come out of my mouth and the mouths of their other teachers) is in English.
2. "The incentive to learn \(\displaystyle in English" is diminished when it's translated. \)\(\displaystyle
You're mixing up two separate goals. We want them to learn math and we want them to learn English (which they do). There is no need for them to "learn math in English". As their math teacher, I want to give them as much assistance as I can in order for them to learn a subject which is difficult enough for many students to learn even with no language barrier.
3. SmartBoard translations help them learn English. They hear me say something, they see the words typed out in English, and then they see a translation below.
4. "Do you also have someone translate the exam and what they wrote as answers?"
Yes. The state math test is given in their language. As for my own tests, I translate word problems where necessary.
5. "Any of these students plan to go on to grad school...?"
I have the kids in middle school. From September to June, the vast majority of the students increase their understanding of English enough that I can speak directly to them and be understood. The idea that they are in danger of not becoming fluent by the time they reach graduate school because of the assistance I'm giving them is absurd.\)

Last edited:

1. Can YouTube videos be translated on phones for ELLs?

Yes, YouTube videos can be translated on phones for English Language Learners (ELLs) through the use of third-party translation apps or built-in translation features on certain smartphones.

2. Are there any limitations to translating YouTube videos on phones for ELLs?

It depends on the app or feature being used for translation. Some may have limited language options or may not accurately translate certain phrases or accents. It's always best to double-check the accuracy of translations before relying on them.

3. Do I need a strong internet connection to translate YouTube videos on phones for ELLs?

Yes, a strong and stable internet connection is necessary for translating YouTube videos on phones for ELLs. The translation process requires accessing and streaming the video, as well as sending and receiving data from the translation app or feature.

4. Can I translate live YouTube videos on phones for ELLs?

Yes, some translation apps or features have the ability to translate live YouTube videos on phones for ELLs. However, the accuracy and smoothness of the translation may vary depending on the app or feature being used.

5. Are there any costs associated with translating YouTube videos on phones for ELLs?

Some translation apps or features may require a fee for premium services, while others may offer basic translation for free. It's important to research and compare different options to find one that best fits your needs and budget.