Can Z be Injected into <x,y:xyx=y> by a Homomorphism?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Group Presentation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Show that you cannot injectively take Z into <x,y:xyx=x> by a homomorphism.

EDIT:the presentation should be <x,y:xyx=y>

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I am new to group presentation, can someone just give me a hint? Z has the presentation <x: no relations>. Is it true that any homomorphism has to take a relator to a relator? Then it is clearly impossible since Z has only one relator...
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fiddling around with the relation in the presentation will make it obvious.
 
Ah, so you're trying for an injective homomorphism [itex]G \rightarrow \mathbb Z[/itex].
Basically this is the same as saying that [itex]G[/itex] is isomorphic to a (not necessarily proper) subgroup of [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex].

N.B.: Regarding the bit about relators - consider that [itex]<x,y:x=y>[/itex] is clearly equivalent to [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex].
 
NateTG said:
Ah, so you're trying for an injective homomorphism [itex]G \rightarrow \mathbb Z[/itex].
Not really. I am trying to show that there is no injective homomorphism from Z to <x,y:xyx=y>. That is, I want to show that you cannot find any copies of Z in <x,y:xyx=y>.
 
ehrenfest said:
Not really. I am trying to show that there is no injective homomorphism from Z to <x,y:xyx=y>. That is, I want to show that you cannot find any copies of Z in <x,y:xyx=y>.

Hmm, I'm missing something then.
[tex]f: \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow G[/tex]
[tex]f(n)=x^n[/tex]
or
[tex]g(n)=y^n[/tex]
look like they are such homomorphisms.
 
Maybe you're right. I wanted to use this as a step in a different problem, but maybe I need to find another step.