Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Candle flicker algorithm and hardware

1. Jul 11, 2006 #1
    I was looking at some of those battery operated candles that flicker like real candles, and asked myself, "how hard would that be to make?" The main problem being, I have very little knowledge of electrical engineering. Even if I had an algorithm, I wouldn't know how to implement it into hardware.

I thought it would be neat to make my own, and just hollow out real candles.
    How complex is the problem of creating such a device? Does the hardware have to be made custom for the algorithm?

Where can I start?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There was a nice article in Nuts&Volts covering both some theory and construction of electronic candles.

Perhaps their web site might have it available.
  4. Jul 12, 2006 #3
    Neat, i'll have to check it out. :cool:
  5. Jul 12, 2006 #4
    It appears the link is broken when I do a search on their site. When I check out the cached page by google, it's just a short paragraph telling the reader that the candle circuitry info is in that particular issue.
  6. Jul 12, 2006 #5
  7. Jul 12, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is always the library. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?