Candle flicker algorithm and hardware

• Thread starter phile
  • Start date
I was looking at some of those battery operated candles that flicker like real candles, and asked myself, "how hard would that be to make?" The main problem being, I have very little knowledge of electrical engineering. Even if I had an algorithm, I wouldn't know how to implement it into hardware.

http://www.jacksonshomeandgarden.com/ledcandles.aspx?gclid=CIyi9Yeyi4YCFQdMGgodB2VAFw [Broken]

I thought it would be neat to make my own, and just hollow out real candles.
How complex is the problem of creating such a device? Does the hardware have to be made custom for the algorithm?

Where can I start?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There was a nice article in Nuts&Volts covering both some theory and construction of electronic candles.

Perhaps their web site might have it available.

NoTime said:
There was a nice article in Nuts&Volts covering both some theory and construction of electronic candles.

Perhaps their web site might have it available.
Neat, i'll have to check it out. :cool:

It appears the link is broken when I do a search on their site. When I check out the cached page by google, it's just a short paragraph telling the reader that the candle circuitry info is in that particular issue.

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
phile said:
It appears the link is broken when I do a search on their site. When I check out the cached page by google, it's just a short paragraph telling the reader that the candle circuitry info is in that particular issue.
There is always the library. :smile: