How to create an Electric Field?

In summary: So, when you connect the black clip to the other copper clad board, you are effectively grounding the other terminal.
BhargavRJ
TL;DR Summary
I want to create an Electric Field on Copper Clad Board! How to implement it? I want help with electrical connections.
Dear friends,

First of all I have one question! As per Figure 1, how to implement electrical connection in real life which are seen inside Red Box? and what is the meaning of grounding the other terminal?

Figure 1.jpg

Figure 1

And the second thing is that, I want to create and electric field on copper clad board! How I can create it? As per Figure 2, I have implemented one electrical circuit by connecting positive terminal of 9V battery with copper clad board leaving negative terminal disconnected. Is there any possibility that I will get charge accumulation on copper clad board? and If yes, How would I confirm that some charge or electric field is there?

Figure 2.jpg

Figure 2

Engineering news on Phys.org
-1- It sounds like you should not be considering working with 50kV power supplies.

-2- Connect the black clip to a 2nd copper clad board and hold the two boards 1cm apart (do not let them touch -- that will short out the battery). You have now created an electric field between the plates of 9V/1cm = 900V/m.

Likes osilmag, jasonRF and BhargavRJ
berkeman said:
-1- It sounds like you should not be considering working with 50kV power supplies.

-2- Connect the black clip to a 2nd copper clad board and hold the two boards 1cm apart (do not let them touch -- that will short out the battery). You have now created an electric field between the plates of 9V/1cm = 900V/m.

For Figure 1, I will not be using 50kV power supplies, but I just want to understand that how they make connections in real life, because as per the figure they have grounded the other terminal.

For Figure 2, I am clear with your answer and will be doing it for sure. But still I want to ask that what are the possibilities of charge accumulation if I don't connect the negative terminal, will it increase the amount of charge on copper?

Zero. Even though you are not making a closed circuit, there still has to be polarity for charge and thus a field to accumulate. What you have pictured is unipolar.

Likes BhargavRJ
Figure 1.jpg

Please explain me how they connect that power supply where I have kept black arrow. The other terminal, actually it is connected where?

That symbol is the symbol for ground and the suppressor is a large filter that smooths voltage spikes.

1. How do I create an electric field?

To create an electric field, you need to have a source of electric charge. This can be achieved through the use of a battery or a power source. The electric charge will then create an electric field in the surrounding area.

2. What materials can create an electric field?

Materials that have an excess or deficiency of electrons can create an electric field. These can include metals, insulators, and even living organisms such as humans.

3. How can I increase the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field can be increased by increasing the amount of electric charge or by decreasing the distance between the source of charge and the point where the field is being measured.

4. Can I control the direction of an electric field?

Yes, the direction of an electric field can be controlled by manipulating the placement and orientation of the source of electric charge. For example, using a positively charged object will create an electric field pointing away from the object.

5. What are some practical applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including powering electronic devices, creating lightning in thunderstorms, and controlling the movement of particles in medical and industrial processes. They are also essential in the functioning of electric motors and generators.