Canonical commutation relations for a particle

In summary, the commutation relations for a particl moving in 3D are: [\hat{x},\hat{p_{x}}]= i\hbar [\hat{y},\hat{p_{y}}]= i\hbar [\hat{z},\hat{p_{z}}]= i\hbar Homework Statement The canonical commutation relations for a particl moving in 3D are: [\hat{x},\hat{p_{x}}]= i\hbar [\hat{y},\hat{p_{y}}]= i\hbar [\hat{z},\hat{p
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

The canonical commutation relations for a particl moving in 3D are
[tex] [\hat{x},\hat{p_{x}}]= i\hbar [/tex]
[tex] [\hat{y},\hat{p_{y}}]= i\hbar [/tex]
[tex] [\hat{z},\hat{p_{z}}]= i\hbar [/tex]

and all other commutators involving x, px, y ,py, z , pz (they should all have a hat on eahc of them signifying that htey are operators) are zero. These relations can be used to show that the operators for the orbital angular mometum obey the following commutation relations

[tex] [\hat{L_{x}},\hat{L_{y}}]= i\hbar \hat{L_{z}} [/tex]
[tex] [\hat{L_{y}},\hat{L_{z}}]= i\hbar \hat{L_{x}} [/tex]
[tex] [\hat{L_{z}},\hat{L_{x}}]= i\hbar \hat{L_{y}} [/tex]

Using
[tex] \hat{L_{x}} = \hat{y}\hat{p_{z}} - \hat{z}\hat{p_{y}} [/tex]
[tex] \hat{L_{y}} = \hat{z}\hat{p_{x}} - \hat{x}\hat{p_{z}} [/tex]

Verify that
[tex] [\hat{L_{x}},\hat{L_{y}}] = [\hat{y}\hat{p_{z}},\hat{z}\hat{p_{x}}]+[\hat{z}\hat{p_{y}},\hat{x}\hat{p_{z}}] [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried opening up the commutators and it really did get me anywherehere is what i did

[tex] [\hat{y}\hat{p_{z}},\hat{z}\hat{p_{x}}]+[\hat{z}\hat{p_{y}},\hat{x}\hat{p_{z}}] = yp_{y}zp_{x} - zp_{x}yp_{z} + zp_{y}xp_{z} - xp_{z}zp_{y} [/tex]

and the left hand side yields

[tex] yp_{z}zp_{x} - yp_{z}xp_{z} - zp_{y}zp_{x} + zp_{y}xp_{z} + zp_{x} yp_{z} - zp_{x} zp_{y} - xp_{z}yp_{z} + xp_{z} z p_{y} [/tex]nothing seems to simplify... or is there something I am missing...?

o and i did not put hats on eahc of them because it would just too much typing...

thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier to start from the other side, ie, expand [Lx,Ly]. The commutator is linear, in that [a+b,c]=[a,c]+[b,c], and after expanding like this several of the terms will be zero.

You will find the identity listed by StatusX very useful. The other identity you will find very useful is [tex] [AB,C] = A[B,C] + [A,C]B [/tex]. Use these two identities to reduce every angular momentum commutator to commutators of position with momentum (or position with position which is zero, etc).

currently working on it ... ill post what i got if i got it right... when i complet eit

thanks for hte help so far...

Last edited:

1. What are canonical commutation relations (CCRs) for a particle?

Canonical commutation relations for a particle are a set of mathematical equations that describe the fundamental relationship between the position and momentum operators of a quantum particle. They are derived from the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and are used to calculate the uncertainty in the measurements of a particle's position and momentum.

2. Why are CCRs important in quantum mechanics?

CCR's are important in quantum mechanics because they are a fundamental part of the mathematical framework used to describe and understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and are essential for solving many problems in quantum mechanics.

3. How do CCRs relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

CCR's are directly related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The CCRs mathematically describe this relationship and provide a quantitative measure of the uncertainty in position and momentum measurements.

4. Can CCRs be applied to all particles in quantum mechanics?

Yes, CCRs can be applied to all particles in quantum mechanics, including fermions and bosons. However, the specific form of the CCRs may differ depending on the particle's spin and other quantum properties. For example, the CCRs for fermions and bosons are slightly different due to the different ways they behave under particle exchange.

5. How are CCRs used in practical applications?

CCR's are used in many practical applications in quantum mechanics, such as in the development of quantum computing and in quantum simulations. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum sensors and detectors. Additionally, CCRs are used in theoretical calculations to predict the behavior of particles in various physical systems, such as atoms and molecules.