1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical Transformation and harmonic-oscillator

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    Show that the transformation
    Q = p + iaq , P = (p-iaq)/2ia
    is canonical and find the generating function. Use the transformation to solve the harmonic-oscillator problem.

I was able to determine if the transformation is canonical, and it is. However, when it came to finding the generating function, I wasnt getting it right. And how do we use this transformation to solve the harmonic oscillator?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, what do you know about generating functions?...What does the Hamiltonian become under this transformation?

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3
    I dont know how to obtain the Hamiltonian. But i know that to check whether the transformation is canonical, we can show that the Poisson brackets are invariant. Which I have shown they are. I'm not getting the right generating function, or is the generating function really the hamiltonian??

5. Dec 11, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, what are you doing to obtain the (incorrect) generating function?

You don't know what the Hamiltonian of the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator is?

6. Dec 11, 2009 #5
    Ok so I take the poisson bracket and obtain 1, therefore its canonical. I have an example similar to this, so i take q = - partial F / partial p , so i solve from the original equation of Q = p + iaq, i solve for q and then take the integral and solve for F.

7. Dec 11, 2009 #6
    Would the hamiltonian of a harmonic oscillator be H = p2/2 +(1/2)kx2

8. Dec 11, 2009 #7
    sorry i meanH = p2/2m +(1/2)kx2

9. Dec 11, 2009 #8
    H = p2/2m +(1/2)kq2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook