Can't comb hair on a 2-sphere. On a Calabi Yau manifold?

In summary: Hopf index theorem.Similarly any odd-dimensional sphere shows that b_1=0 does not imply a nonzero vector field can't exist.Thank you for pointing out my mistake. You are right, this only works for compact orientable surfaces. In general, the existence of a nonvanishing vector field is controlled by the first Pontryagin class, which is an integral cohomology class in dimension 4. The first Pontryagin class integrates to the Euler characteristic, so it is a generalization of the result I mentioned for compact orientable surfaces.Therefore, for a compact orientable surface, the vanishing of the first Betti number implies
Spinnor
Gold Member
Does it make sense to ask if we can "comb the hair" on a Calabi yau manifold?

Hope this is the right place for this question.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The proper way to formulate the question for a general manifold, and hence in a way that makes sense for Calabi Yau manifolds in particular, is to ask if there exists a nowhere vanishing section of the tangent bundle (ie. a a nowhere vanishing vector field.) This is always true for a Calabi Yau manifold though since one way to define a Calabi Yau manifold is as a Kahler manifold on which there exists a nowhere vanishing holomorphic one form. Using a Hermitian metric, this implies the existence of a nowhere vanishing holomorphic vector field so the hair on Calabi Yau manifolds can always be combed.

Likes Spinnor
Terandol said:
The proper way to formulate the question for a general manifold, and hence in a way that makes sense for Calabi Yau manifolds in particular, is to ask if there exists a nowhere vanishing section of the tangent bundle (ie. a a nowhere vanishing vector field.) This is always true for a Calabi Yau manifold though since one way to define a Calabi Yau manifold is as a Kahler manifold on which there exists a nowhere vanishing holomorphic one form. Using a Hermitian metric, this implies the existence of a nowhere vanishing holomorphic vector field so the hair on Calabi Yau manifolds can always be combed.

Not quite. A Calabi-Yau manifold is a complex manifold with trivial canonical bundle, which is equivalent to saying it has a nowhere-vanishing holomorphic top form. That is, if the CY manifold has ##n## complex dimensions (or ##2n## real dimensions), then there is a nowhere-vanishing holomorphic ##n##-form. Yet another equivalent statement is that it has a covariantly-constant spinor; the holomorphic top-form is then constructed as a bilinear of this spinor (and I am pretty sure it is the only non-vanishing bilinear, in general).

So the Calabi-Yau condition does not imply the existence of a nonvanishing vector field.

What *does* imply the existence of a nonvanishing vector field is having a nonzero first Betti number ##b_1##. The simplest non-trivial Calabi-Yaus are the K3 surfaces. Looking at the Hodge diamond of a K3 surface on the Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K3_surface

I see that the Hodge numbers ##h^{1,0} = h^{0,1} = 0##, and hence ##b_1 = h^{1,0} + h^{0,1} = 0##. Thus one cannot comb the "hair" of a K3 surface.

Likes Spinnor
A further note: in 1 complex dimension (i.e. 2 real dimensions), a Calabi-Yau is just a torus. The holomorphic top form is a 1-form, and as Terandol points out, it implies the existence of a nowhere-vanishing vector field. In fact, there are two nowhere-vanishing vector fields, because you have two nowhere-vanishing 1-forms: the holomorphic top-form and its complex conjugate. As expected, the first Betti number of the torus is 2, and it should be obvious how to visualize the two linearly-independent nonvanishing vector fields.

Likes Spinnor
Much for the brain to chew on and digest! Thanks to you both!

There is a general theorem that says that an orientable smooth compact manifold without boundary has a vector field without zeros if only if its Euler characteristic is zero.

The Euler characteristic can be computed by integrating the Euler class over the manifold. If the tangent bundle has a complex structure as in Calabi-Yau manifolds,then the Euler class is the top dimensional Chern class.

According to the Wikipedia article,for K3 surfaces, the second Chern class- which is the top dimensional Chern class for these manifolds- integrates to to 24 so no K3 surface can be combed.

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor
Yeah my first post was nonsense.

Ben Niehoff said:
What *does* imply the existence of a nonvanishing vector field is having a nonzero first Betti number b1
I see that the Hodge numbers h1,0=h0,1=0, and hence b1=h1,0+h0,1=0. Thus one cannot comb the "hair" of a K3 surface.
I'm not sure I understand this. Do you mean this is true only in the special case of a complex manifold (or maybe even more specifically a Calabi-Yau manifold)? It seems to me for an arbitrary real manifold the vanishing of the first betti class does not control the existence of a nonvanishing vector field either way. For example, a compact genus [itex] g>1[/itex] surface has [itex] b_1=2g \neq 0 [/itex] but it can't have a nonvanishing vector field since it's Euler characteristic [itex] 2-2g\neq 0 [/itex] but by the Hopf index theorem a nonvanishing vector field implies the euler characteristic is zero

Similarly any odd-dimensional (>1) sphere shows that [itex] b_1=0 [/itex] does not imply a nonzero vector field can't exist.

Edit: Looks like lavinia beat me to it and more or less answered this already.

Likes Spinnor
Terandol said:
Yeah my first post was nonsense.I'm not sure I understand this. Do you mean this is true only in the special case of a complex manifold (or maybe even more specifically a Calabi-Yau manifold)? It seems to me for an arbitrary real manifold the vanishing of the first betti class does not control the existence of a nonvanishing vector field either way. For example, a compact genus [itex] g>1[/itex] surface has [itex] b_1=2g \neq 0 [/itex] but it can't have a nonvanishing vector field since it's Euler characteristic [itex] 2-2g\neq 0 [/itex] but by the Hopf index theorem a nonvanishing vector field implies the euler characteristic is zero

Similarly any odd-dimensional sphere shows that [itex] b_1=0 [/itex] does not imply a nonzero vector field can't exist.

Terandol said:
Yeah my first post was nonsense.I'm not sure I understand this. Do you mean this is true only in the special case of a complex manifold (or maybe even more specifically a Calabi-Yau manifold)? It seems to me for an arbitrary real manifold the vanishing of the first betti class does not control the existence of a nonvanishing vector field either way. For example, a compact genus [itex] g>1[/itex] surface has [itex] b_1=2g \neq 0 [/itex] but it can't have a nonvanishing vector field since it's Euler characteristic [itex] 2-2g\neq 0 [/itex] but by the Hopf index theorem a nonvanishing vector field implies the euler characteristic is zero

Similarly any odd-dimensional (>1) sphere shows that [itex] b_1=0 [/itex] does not imply a nonzero vector field can't exist.

I know nothing about Calabi-Yau manifolds and was asking the same question. Let me add on to your points.- Every surface of genus 2 or more is a complex manifold( Riemann surface ) and has non-zero first betti number. Yet all have non-zero Euler characteristic. All have non-zero holomorphic 1 forms.

So it seems that it is special to Calabi-Yau manifolds. But maybe there is a less restrictive condition.

Likes Spinnor
Ack, you're right. The first Betti number counts the number of linearly-independent 1-cycles. Somehow I got it in my head that having 1-cycles had something to do with being comb-able.

The Euler number is the correct topological invariant to use (and it is equal to the alternating sum of the Betti numbers).

I don't think all Riemann surfaces have non-zero holomorphic 1-forms, though. In fact, they must not, unless their Euler characteristic vanishes. So that leaves only the torus. Since another equivalent Calabi-Yau condition is Kahler + Ricci-flatness, this had better be the case.

Likes Spinnor
Ben Niehoff said:
Ack, you're right. The first Betti number counts the number of linearly-independent 1-cycles. Somehow I got it in my head that having 1-cycles had something to do with being comb-able.

The Euler number is the correct topological invariant to use (and it is equal to the alternating sum of the Betti numbers).

I don't think all Riemann surfaces have non-zero holomorphic 1-forms, though. In fact, they must not, unless their Euler characteristic vanishes. So that leaves only the torus. Since another equivalent Calabi-Yau condition is Kahler + Ricci-flatness, this had better be the case.

Right. I meant holomorphic 1 forms that are not everywhere zero.

Putting pieces together from two sources it appears a Calibi-Yau manifold can be combed?

From, http://universe-review.ca/R15-26-CalabiYau01.htm#Kahler

"The first Chern class is vanishing (or zero) if all the tangent vectors on a manifold can be oriented to the same direction. "

And from, http://books.google.com/books?id=b3R31u-HbcIC&pg=PA61&dq=kahler manifolds differential geometry&hl=en&sa=X&ei=FflrVKOPA8uxsATc9oHoAw&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=kahler manifolds differential geometry&f=false

"A Calibi Yau manifold is defined as a kahler manifold with a vanishing first Chern class."

Thanks for help!

Spinnor said:
Putting pieces together from two sources it appears a Calibi-Yau manifold can be combed?

From, http://universe-review.ca/R15-26-CalabiYau01.htm#Kahler

"The first Chern class is vanishing (or zero) if all the tangent vectors on a manifold can be oriented to the same direction. "

And from, http://books.google.com/books?id=b3R31u-HbcIC&pg=PA61&dq=kahler manifolds differential geometry&hl=en&sa=X&ei=FflrVKOPA8uxsATc9oHoAw&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=kahler manifolds differential geometry&f=false

"A Calibi Yau manifold is defined as a kahler manifold with a vanishing first Chern class."

Thanks for help!

As has been explained above, a manifold can be combed if and only if its Euler class is zero. This is not the same as the first Chern class equal to zero unless the complex manifold is a Riemann surface.

A simply connected Ricci flat Kahler n- manifold has an everywhere non-zero holomorphic volume form. I would guess that this is the orientability property referred to in your quoted sentence.

Orientability and combability are not the same. Orientability implies that there is an Euler class for the vector bundle. More generally a sphere bundle that is orientable has an Euler class. But combability means that the sphere bundle has a section and for this the Euler class must be zero.

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor
Thank you for taking time to point out my error!

1. Why is it impossible to comb hair on a 2-sphere?

The 2-sphere, also known as a sphere, is a three-dimensional object with no edges or corners. Therefore, there is no way to define a consistent direction for combing hair on its surface. Any attempt to comb hair on a sphere will result in inconsistent and chaotic patterns.

2. What is a Calabi Yau manifold?

A Calabi Yau manifold is a complex geometric shape that has been studied in mathematics and physics. It is a multi-dimensional space that is often used in string theory to describe the shape of the extra dimensions beyond our four-dimensional universe.

3. How are the concepts of combing hair and Calabi Yau manifolds related?

The concept of not being able to comb hair on a 2-sphere is often used as an analogy to explain the complex geometry of Calabi Yau manifolds. Just as it is impossible to comb hair on a sphere, it is also impossible to define consistent directions or orientations on certain shapes in higher dimensions.

4. Can hair be combed on any other manifolds besides a 2-sphere?

Yes, hair can be combed on manifolds that have a consistent direction or orientation, such as a cylinder or a torus. However, the concept of combing hair on a 2-sphere is used as a thought experiment to demonstrate the complexity of certain shapes in mathematics and physics.

5. How does this concept relate to other scientific concepts or theories?

The inability to comb hair on a 2-sphere is just one example of how seemingly simple concepts can become complex when applied to higher dimensions or abstract mathematical spaces. This concept is often used in discussions about string theory, topology, and other areas of mathematics and physics.