Struggling to Finish Physics Degree? Expert Tips from a Physics Grad

• Thread starter azterik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the student is struggling with completing the physics degree and has low motivation due to a lack of interest in the subject.
azterik
Can't Finish Physics ...

I'm writing to those of you who have finished either with a physics, math or engineering degree or have had a similar experience. I'm in my last year of physics B.S. and I am basically shutting down completely... I would be finishing in the fall if everything was going well this semester... but it's not. I really just don't have any the will to work anymore. I've completed the two introductory courses, P&N, E&M, Mechanics, 1st Lab, Physics communication class, and Quantum A all with a 3.1 average and now that I am in thermo, quantum B, Adv Lab I've just stopped doing my work, skipping classes and thus doing poorly on my tests ... I utterly hate the fact that I've gone so far and this is happening now. My brain is just tired... I have no other problems in my life; beautiful,smart and funny girlfriend, loving family and many (non-science related ;) ) friends to hang out with. I would appreciate any advice you may have or techniques that got you back up on that horse! Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

One suggestion I have is to get to career services. Put together a resume, and take a long look at your options after graduation. See how your resume will look depending on how you do for the rest of your time in college. Start looking for jobs and seeing what you might apply for. I recommend doing this with a career services advisor and getting some good honest feedback.

Having a realistic sense of your future and finding a goal that you want to work for can be very motivating. Good luck.

azterik said:
I'm writing to those of you who have finished either with a physics, math or engineering degree or have had a similar experience. I'm in my last year of physics B.S. and I am basically shutting down completely... I would be finishing in the fall if everything was going well this semester... but it's not. I really just don't have any the will to work anymore. I've completed the two introductory courses, P&N, E&M, Mechanics, 1st Lab, Physics communication class, and Quantum A all with a 3.1 average and now that I am in thermo, quantum B, Adv Lab I've just stopped doing my work, skipping classes and thus doing poorly on my tests ... I utterly hate the fact that I've gone so far and this is happening now. My brain is just tired... I have no other problems in my life; beautiful,smart and funny girlfriend, loving family and many (non-science related ;) ) friends to hang out with. I would appreciate any advice you may have or techniques that got you back up on that horse! Thank you

Why can't you take a leave of absence for a year or two and re-evaluate what you want to do?

Zz.

1. What are some tips for successfully completing a physics degree?

First and foremost, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make a study schedule and stick to it. Additionally, reach out to your professors and classmates for help or clarification when needed. Don't be afraid to seek out extra resources, such as tutoring or study groups. Practice problems and review material consistently to stay on top of the material. Finally, don't get discouraged if you struggle with a certain concept - keep trying and seek out different explanations until it clicks.

2. How can I balance a heavy workload and outside commitments while completing a physics degree?

It can be challenging to balance a heavy workload and outside commitments, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a schedule that includes time for studying, class, work, and any other commitments. Don't be afraid to say no to additional commitments if they will interfere with your studies. Also, make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

3. What are some common challenges that students face while completing a physics degree?

Some common challenges that students face while completing a physics degree include the abstract and complex nature of the subject, the heavy workload and time commitment, and the use of advanced mathematical concepts. Additionally, some students may struggle with certain topics or concepts, and it is important to seek out help and resources to overcome these challenges.

4. Are there any resources or tools that can help me succeed in my physics degree?

Yes, there are many resources and tools that can aid in your success in a physics degree. Many universities offer tutoring services, study groups, and office hours with professors. There are also online resources, such as practice problems and video lectures, that can provide additional support. Additionally, textbooks and study guides can be helpful for reviewing material and practicing problems.

5. What are some potential career options for someone with a physics degree?

A degree in physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research, teaching, engineering, and data analysis. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue graduate degrees in fields such as physics, astronomy, or engineering. Other career options may include working in industries such as technology, renewable energy, or healthcare. The critical thinking, problem-solving, and quantitative skills gained from a physics degree can be applied to a wide range of professions.