Can't understand one step in derivation (partition function)

In summary, during a statistical mechanics lecture, the professor derives the average energy as a function of the partition function, using the equation -1/Z dZ(beta)/d beta = -dlnZ(beta) / d beta. After struggling to understand why the left and right sides are equal, it is determined that this is a simple application of the chain rule in calculus. The derivative of ln(Z(beta)) is found by multiplying the derivative of the inside (Z(beta)) with the derivative of the outside (ln(Z(beta)). Grateful for the assistance, the individual is able to understand the concept.
tomyuey938
This is from self-study coursework rather than homework. I hope it's ok in this forum.

I'm following a statistical mechanics lecture on youtube, and the professor is deriving the average energy as a function of the partition function. He goes:

-1/Z dZ(beta)/d beta = -dlnZ(beta) / d beta

where Z(beta) is the partition function = e^{-(beta) E}.

I spent an hour trying to figure out why the LHS equals the RHS (from both directions, including using differentiation by substitution) but I just can't figure out how he does it.

Perhaps this is a really simple question (and if so, I apologies for my stupidity) but can anyone tell me how to go between the two steps?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
As best as I can figure out (don't know anything about statistical mechanics) this is just a simple derivative. If the LHS reads -1/Z(beta) dZ(beta)/d beta (which I imagine it should) then this is just an application of the chain rule.
To make it easier to think about consider LHS and RHS as positive instead of negative (which we can do by multiplying by -1) then look at the RHS. The derivative of ln(Z(beta)) is found by the Calc 1 rule "derivative of the inside times the derivative of the outside" where the inside is Z(beta) and the outside is ln(Z(beta))
thus you have 1/Z(beta) (the direct derivative of ln(Z(beta))) times dZ(beta)/dbeta (the derivative of the argument of ln)

dot.hack, thank you so much, I've got it now. I made such a trivial mistake. I really appreciate your help!

1. What is the purpose of the partition function in a thermodynamic system?

The partition function is a key concept in statistical mechanics and thermodynamics. It is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system by summing over all possible microstates of the system. Essentially, it provides a link between the microscopic behavior of a system and its macroscopic properties.

2. How is the partition function derived?

The partition function is derived from the principles of statistical mechanics. It involves considering all the possible microstates of a system and assigning a probability to each one. These probabilities are then summed together to obtain the partition function.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the partition function is used to calculate the average energy of a system and its fluctuations. It is also used to determine the probability of finding a system in a particular energy state. The partition function is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can the partition function be used for all types of systems?

Yes, the partition function can be used for any type of thermodynamic system, as long as the system is in thermal equilibrium. It is a general tool in statistical mechanics and has been successfully applied to a wide range of systems, from simple ideal gases to complex systems such as proteins and polymers.

5. What are some real-world applications of the partition function?

The partition function has numerous applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of phase transitions, chemical equilibrium, and the behavior of polymers. It is also used in the development of materials with specific thermal and mechanical properties, and in the design of efficient energy systems.