Probability of a state given the partition function

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability of an ensemble being in a state with energy ##cU## for a continuous energy distribution. The speaker suggests using the phase-space distribution function in terms of energy and simplifying it using ##E(\Gamma)##. They also mention evaluating the integral to determine the distribution function of energy for an ideal gas.
Sat D
Homework Statement
Given the partition function of an ideal monoatomic gas, what is the probability that its energy is some ##cU##, where ##U## is the average energy of the ensemble
Relevant Equations
##Z = \frac{1}{N!} \left( \frac{2\pi m k_B T}{h^2} \right)^{3N/2} V^N##
If my partition function is for a continuous distribution of energy, can I simply say that the probability of my ensemble being in a state with energy ##cU## is ##e^{-\beta cU} /Z##? I believe that isn't right as my energy distribution is continuous, and I need to be integrating over small intervals.

Physics news on Phys.org
First think about the phase-space distribution function in terms of energy rather than momentum!

So,
$$p(E) = \int \delta(E-cU) \frac{e^{-\beta E(\Gamma)}}{Z} d\Gamma$$
where ##\Gamma## is the phase-space.
However, how do I simplify something like this?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Well, just get ##E(\Gamma)##.

How do you mean?

Well, you should know, how the phase-space distribution function for an ideal gas looks. Then you can get the distribution function of energy by evaluating the integral you've written down.

1. What is the "probability of a state given the partition function"?

The "probability of a state given the partition function" is a concept in statistical mechanics that describes the likelihood of a system being in a certain state, given the partition function of the system. It is used to calculate the relative probabilities of different states in a system at a given temperature.

2. How is the probability of a state calculated using the partition function?

The probability of a state is calculated by taking the ratio of the partition function of that state to the sum of all partition functions in the system. This gives the relative probability of that state compared to the other possible states in the system.

3. What is the relationship between the partition function and the probability of a state?

The partition function is a mathematical function that describes the thermodynamic properties of a system, while the probability of a state is a measure of the likelihood of a system being in a certain state. The partition function is used to calculate the probability of a state, as it takes into account the energy levels and degeneracy of the system.

4. How does temperature affect the probability of a state given the partition function?

The temperature of a system plays a crucial role in determining the probability of a state given the partition function. As the temperature increases, the probability of higher energy states also increases, while the probability of lower energy states decreases.

5. Can the probability of a state be greater than 1?

No, the probability of a state cannot be greater than 1. This is because the sum of all probabilities of all possible states in a system must equal 1. If the probability of a state is greater than 1, it would violate this fundamental principle of probability.