Can't we synthetically create helium-3 from decaying tritium

• Thread starter Nayan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tritium
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating helium-3 synthetically from decaying tritium instead of mining it from the moon, which is a costly and complicated process. It also mentions that most of our supply of helium-3 comes from decaying tritium, which is currently cheaper than mining it from the moon. However, if technology advances and demand for helium-3 increases, it may become economically feasible to mine the moon for helium-3.
Nayan
If I am write can't we syntactically creat helium-3 from decayacing tritium if it is true we don't have to mine the moon for helium-3 because mining the moon is very costly and complicated so if we can sycnteticlly creat helium-3 we can save a lot of money

Chemistry news on Phys.org
We get most of our helium-3 from decaying tritium right now (a lot of it in the US comes from tritium present in nuclear weapons). The real question should be: where does our supply of tritium come from? Right now, the vast majority (all?) of our tritium supply is bred by irradiating lithium-6 and lithium-7 with neutrons. This process is currently significantly cheaper than space travel to mine He-3, but the demand for He-3 is also very low. If some technology were developed to dramatically boost the demand for He-3 (say, fusion power), and space travel became dramatically cheaper, then at some point, it might be economically feasible to mine the moon for He-3.

Likes HAYAO and Janosh89

1. What is helium-3 and how is it different from other types of helium?

Helium-3 is a rare isotope of helium with two protons and one neutron, as opposed to the more common helium-4 which has two protons and two neutrons. Helium-3 is much lighter and has different nuclear and chemical properties compared to helium-4.

2. Why do we need to create helium-3 synthetically?

Helium-3 is a valuable resource for nuclear fusion research and potential energy production. However, it is extremely rare on Earth and is mostly found on the moon. Therefore, creating it synthetically would provide a more easily accessible source for research and potential energy production.

3. Can tritium decay produce enough helium-3 to be useful?

No, tritium decay only produces a small amount of helium-3. It would not be efficient or practical to rely solely on tritium decay for helium-3 production.

4. How would we synthetically create helium-3 from decaying tritium?

The process of creating helium-3 from decaying tritium involves using a particle accelerator to bombard lithium with high-energy protons. This creates helium-3 in a nuclear reaction known as spallation.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to creating helium-3 synthetically?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations to creating helium-3 synthetically. It requires a large and expensive particle accelerator, and the process is not yet efficient enough to produce large quantities of helium-3. Additionally, there are concerns about the environmental impacts of using particle accelerators and producing radioactive waste.