Capacitance and induced charge of a spherical Capacitor + dielectric

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations and Gauss's law to determine the location and variation of induced charges in a dielectric material. The first part involves using integrals and the equation C=Q/V to find the induced charge, while the second part raises questions about the safety and applicability of using an equation involving k in this scenario. The location of the induced charge is determined using Gauss's law, and the variation of the charge with r can be expected.
titansarus
Homework Statement
We have two conductor spherical shells with radius ##a## and ##b## with charges +Q and -Q and a dielectric ##k## with thickness ##d## is put in distance ##c## from the center. (As in the picture

I) Find the Capacitance of capacitor?

II) Find the induced charge inside dielectric in a position with radial distance$r$ where $c<r<c+d$
Relevant Equations
##C = Q/V , V =-\int E.ds ##
I) For the first part I used:

##V = - \int E ds = \int_a^c \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} Q /r^2 dr+ \int_c^{c+d} \frac{1}{k} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} Q /r^2 dr + \int_{c+d}^b \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} Q /r^2 dr ##

And by using ##C = Q/V## We get an answer which is somehow large for writing here but It is just a bit of algebra after evaluating those integrals.

II) For this part I am not sure what should I use. If I say that ##E_{in ~dielectric} = \frac{1}{k} E_{without~dielectric} ## We get ##Q - Q' = Q/k## where Q' is induced charge. But I am not sure is it safe to use this equation in this part? The answer isn't in terms of ##r## radial distance.
physics question 10.png

Physics news on Phys.org
titansarus said:
I) For the first part I used:

##V = - \int E ds = \int_a^c \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} Q /r^2 dr+ \int_c^{c+d} \frac{1}{k} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} Q /r^2 dr + \int_{c+d}^b \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} Q /r^2 dr ##

And by using ##C = Q/V## We get an answer which is somehow large for writing here but It is just a bit of algebra after evaluating those integrals.

II) For this part I am not sure what should I use. If I say that ##E_{in ~dielectric} = \frac{1}{k} E_{without~dielectric} ## We get ##Q - Q' = Q/k## where Q' is induced charge. But I am not sure is it safe to use this equation in this part? The answer isn't in terms of ##r## radial distance.View attachment 242350
Where is the induced charge located in the dielectric? Does it make sense to expect variation with r?
EDIT: Use Gauss's law to determine where the induced charges reside. You know how E varies with k.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of the ability of a capacitor to store electrical charge. It is defined as the ratio of the charge (Q) stored on one of the plates of a capacitor to the potential difference (V) between the plates, and is measured in farads (F).

2. What is a spherical capacitor?

A spherical capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two concentric spherical conductors separated by a dielectric material. The inner conductor is usually a solid sphere, while the outer conductor is a hollow spherical shell. It is commonly used in high voltage applications due to its ability to withstand large potential differences.

3. How does a dielectric affect the capacitance of a spherical capacitor?

A dielectric material is an insulating material that is placed between the two conductors of a capacitor. It reduces the electric field between the plates, which in turn increases the capacitance of the capacitor. The dielectric constant of the material determines the extent to which the capacitance increases.

4. What is induced charge in a spherical capacitor?

Induced charge is the charge that is present on the inner and outer conductors of a spherical capacitor due to the presence of the dielectric material. This charge is opposite in sign to the charge on the respective plates, and it helps to reduce the electric field between the plates, thereby increasing the capacitance.

5. How is the capacitance of a spherical capacitor with dielectric calculated?

The capacitance of a spherical capacitor with dielectric is calculated using the formula C = (4πε₀εᵣr) / (1 - εᵣ), where ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, εᵣ is the relative permittivity (dielectric constant) of the material, and r is the radius of the inner conductor. This formula takes into account the effect of the dielectric on the capacitance of the capacitor.