Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitive coupling on breadboard

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1

FOIWATER

Gold Member

I have read that between breadboard nodes there can be as much as 25 pF of capacitance.

I have a much better time understanding how parasitic induced voltages work, with respect to magnetic fields.

I have a much harder time understanding how signals can become noisy due to parasitic capacitance.

I don't understand time varying electric fields as well as magnetic fields.

Can some one help me understand how capacitance between nodes, can manifest itself as a noisy signal in said circuits?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Capacitative coupling is more straightforward than magnetic coupling, imo. Just consider it as joining a capacitor of 25pF or so between the two nodes and work out the effect of this in terms of a simple (based on impedance, not just resisitance) Potential divider to find the induced voltage.

There will be layouts possible that should give a bit lower than the 25pf you quote, I think, if it's a problem but it depends upon the actual circumstance. Using an Earth plane can help a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook