Capacitor with dielectric as spring

In summary, the capacitance of the capacitor is $U=\frac{1}{2}CV^2$, when the dielectric is elastic the workdone in compressing/elongating the material of spring constant 'k' is $U=\frac{1}{2}k\delta{d}^2$, the fractional change in the energy of the capacitor is $\frac{1}{2}CV^2-\frac{1}{2}k\delta{d}^2$, and the equation for the capacitance is $C=A€/d$.
Muthumanimaran

Homework Statement

Two parallel plates of metal sandwich a dielectric pad of thickness d, forming an ideal
capacitor of capacitance C. The dielectric pad is elastic, having a spring constant k. If an
ideal battery of voltage V across its terminals is connected to the two plates of this
capacitor, the fractional change $ \frac{\delta{d}}{d} $ in the gap between the plates is

Homework Equations

$$C=\frac{\epsilon{A}}{d}$$
$$U=\frac{1}{2}CV^2$$
$$U=\frac{1}{2}k\delta{d}^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The Capacitance of the capacitor is $U=\frac{1}{2}CV^2$, when the dielectric is elastic the workdone in compressing/elongating the material of spring constant 'k' is $U=\frac{1}{2}k\delta{d}^2$, the fractional change in the energy of the capacitor is $\frac{1}{2}CV^2-\frac{1}{2}k\delta{d}^2$, I don't know what I have done is correct or not and I don't know how proceed from here as well. Please tell me whether my approach is not correct or give me a hint to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am pretty sure that you cannot equate change in electric field energy to change in spring energy. Perhaps the way to approach is to look at the force exerted on the plates, by the electric field.

Tricky problem since you must consider the fact that the battery gives or absorbs (you decide) energy also. So the energy balance equation is
old field energy + contributed battery energy + work done by force = new field energy + spring energy.
Hint: battery energy added = V ΔQ.

PS I couldn't decipher your latex in your section "The attempt at a solution".

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
Due to presence of voltage V, the force between the plates of the capacitor will be equal to the restoring force of the dielectric pad of spring constant k. The dielectric displaces by a fractional distance ∆d(∆ represents small change)
Therefore the equation is,
Q^2/2A€ = k∆d (1)

Also, Q=CV (2)

Therefore, eqn(1) implies-
(CV)^2 = 2k∆d×A€ (3)
Also, C=A€/d (4)

Therefore, eqn(3) implies-
(CV)^2 = 2k∆d ×Cd
Dividing both sides by d^2, we get
(1/2 CV^2)/d^2 = k∆d/d

=> ∆d/d = (1/2CV^2)/kd^2.

€ stands for epsilon. Sorry couldn't find the right notation for epsilon.
I hope this helps.

Likes Hitesh kotian
Hello ftRohan,

Welcome to Pysics Forums!

Please note for the future that it is against Forum rules to post complete or near-complete solutions to homework problems before the Original Poster has arrived at a correct solution by their own efforts. Helpers can only provide guidance via hints or pointing out errors in the OP's attempts.

Check out the pinned thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

1. What is a capacitor with dielectric as spring?

A capacitor with dielectric as spring is a type of capacitor that uses a dielectric material as a spring-like element to store electrical energy. The dielectric material is placed between two metal plates, creating an electric field and allowing the capacitor to store charge and energy.

2. How does a capacitor with dielectric as spring work?

The dielectric material in a capacitor with dielectric as spring acts as a non-conductive barrier between the two metal plates. When a voltage is applied, the electric field between the plates causes the electrons in the dielectric material to shift, storing electrical energy. The strength of the dielectric material determines the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. What are the advantages of using a capacitor with dielectric as spring?

One advantage of using a capacitor with dielectric as spring is that it has a higher capacitance compared to other types of capacitors. This means it can store more charge and energy for a given voltage. It also has a lower self-discharge rate, making it more suitable for long-term energy storage.

4. What are the common applications of a capacitor with dielectric as spring?

Capacitors with dielectric as spring are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers to store energy and filter out unwanted frequencies. They are also used in power grids, electric vehicles, and renewable energy systems for energy storage.

5. How do I choose the right capacitor with dielectric as spring for my application?

The capacitance and breakdown voltage are important factors to consider when choosing a capacitor with dielectric as spring. The dielectric material also plays a crucial role in determining the capacitor's properties. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to datasheets to determine the appropriate capacitor for your specific application.