1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors in a circuit / Calculate total capacitance

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Capacitors are connected as shown in this diagram:

http://o3xn.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/c4.png

C1 = 2 μF, C2 = 1 μF. What is the total capacitance of the system in between the terminals A and B?

2. Relevant equations

For capacitors C1 and C2 connected in series, [itex]\dfrac{1}{C_\Sigma}=\dfrac{1}{C_1}+\dfrac{1}{C_2}[/itex]

For capacitors C1 and C2 connected in parallel, [itex]C_\Sigma=C_1+C_2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem here is that my answer doesn't match that in the book. So I just wanted to check if you guys get the same answer as me.

The three rightmost capacitors C1 have a total capacitance of 2/3 μF.
    They are connected in parallel to a C2-capacitor, their overall capacitance is 1+2/3=5/3 (μF).
    Then we have a C1 in series with what we calculated above in series with yet another C1, which yields 1/(1+3/5)=5/8 (μF).
    Last, we have a C2 in parallel with what we calculated above, which yields 1+5/8=13/8=1.625 (μF).

The book gives 1.58 μF.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks like your answer is correct and the book's is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook