Capacitors - please, need help

• Thread starter joker_900
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, the problem is to find the voltage across a capacitor in a circuit with a cell, two resistors, and a capacitor. The voltage across the capacitor can be expressed as Vc(t)=4.125(1 - exp(-t/0.1375)). The attempt at a solution involved using the equations for current and voltage in a simple one resistor one capacitor series circuit, but this did not lead to a solution. The poster is seeking urgent help and someone suggested posting on an image sharing site for quicker assistance.
joker_900
Capacitors - please, need urgent help!

Homework Statement

I've attached the circuit diagram but it's basically a cell connected in series with a 10kohm resistor, and then a 20microfarad capacitor and 22kohm resistor connected in parallel.

The capacitor begins charging at t=0. Show that the voltage across the capacitor as a function of time is Vc(t)=4.125(1 - exp(-t/0.1375))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i know that in a simple one resistor one capacitor series circuit, the current through the resistor is I=I0e^(-t/RC), and the voltage across the resistor is V=V0e^(-t/RC) (where V0=EMF)

Now i thought this same relationship might apply to the 10kohm (R1) resistor, as initially it's voltage = EMF, and as the capacitor charges, Vc increases and the voltage across R1 therefore decreases. However, in this situation, there is always current flow and so the voltage across R1 does not become zero.

I thought about applying kirchhoffs current law, but this did not seem to get me anywhere.

I am thoroughly confused, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
for reaching out for help with your capacitor circuit. It seems like you have a good understanding of the basic equations for resistor-capacitor circuits. In this case, you are dealing with a slightly more complex circuit with multiple resistors and a parallel connection.

To solve for the voltage across the capacitor as a function of time, you can use Kirchoff's voltage law to set up an equation relating the voltage drop across the capacitor to the voltage drop across the resistors. This can be done by considering the loop from the positive terminal of the battery, through the 10kohm resistor, the capacitor, and the 22kohm resistor, back to the negative terminal of the battery.

Using Kirchoff's voltage law, we know that the sum of the voltage drops around this loop must equal the EMF of the battery. So we can write the equation:

EMF = Vc + V1 + V2

Where Vc is the voltage across the capacitor, V1 is the voltage across the 10kohm resistor, and V2 is the voltage across the 22kohm resistor.

Next, we can use Ohm's law to express V1 and V2 in terms of the current and resistance. We know that the current through the circuit is the same everywhere, and we can use Ohm's law to express the voltage drop across each resistor as the product of the current and the resistance. So we can write:

EMF = Vc + (I*R1) + (I*R2)

Where R1 is the resistance of the 10kohm resistor, R2 is the resistance of the 22kohm resistor, and I is the current through the circuit.

Now, we can use the equation you mentioned for the current through a resistor-capacitor circuit (I=I0e^(-t/RC)) to express the current in terms of time. We can also use the fact that the voltage across the capacitor is related to the current by the equation Vc = (1/C)∫I dt, where ∫I dt is the integral of the current with respect to time.

So we can write:

EMF = Vc + (I0e^(-t/RC)*R1) + (I0e^(-t/RC)*R2)

And we can use the equation for Vc to express it in

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing electrical energy in the form of an electric field. When a voltage is applied across its plates, one plate accumulates positive charges while the other accumulates negative charges. This creates an electric field, and the capacitor can store energy in this field until it reaches its maximum capacity.

3. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and tantalum capacitors. Each type has different properties and is suitable for different applications. Ceramic capacitors are small and inexpensive, while electrolytic capacitors have a higher capacitance but are more prone to failure.

4. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

To choose the right capacitor for your circuit, you need to consider factors such as capacitance, voltage rating, and temperature range. The capacitance should meet the requirements of your circuit, and the voltage rating should be higher than the maximum voltage in your circuit. The temperature range is also important as some capacitors may not function properly in extreme temperatures.

5. Can capacitors be dangerous?

Capacitors can be dangerous if not handled properly. They can store a significant amount of electrical energy and can cause electric shock if mishandled. It is important to discharge capacitors before working with them and to follow proper safety precautions when using them in circuits.