Captain of a Ship: Nautical Engineering School Options

• Thread starter chinchins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ship
In summary, there are multiple names for the course of being a captain of a ship, including a master mariner's license and other licenses or certificates. It is important to work your way up and gain qualifications along the way. There are schools that specialize in teaching mariners, such as Maine Maritime Academy, which educates students in various aspects of ship operation.
chinchins
Is there another name for the course of being a captain of a ship? is it nautical engineering?

Any school in mind dat i can go to in the near future?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

chinchins said:
Is there another name for the course of being a captain of a ship? is it nautical engineering?

Any school in minds dat i can go to in the near future?

Hi chinchins! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I believe a captain needs a master mariner's license (or master's licence), but you need other licences or certificates first …

I think you have to work your way up, getting qualifications as you go.

There's some details at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_(nautical) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licensed_mariner and http://www.hcmm.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97&Itemid=53

Which country are you from?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks! :)

i am from the Philippines. studying in Cebu International School and I am in grade 11. I am asking coz i just want to get all my plans for college straighten up as early as possible so i won't be cramming and so that i can stil change my mind if i decide to but right now, my aim is to be a captain of a ship. a cruise ship more likely.

il check on d links. thanks for posting it. :)

There are schools that specialize in teaching mariners. Maine Maritime Academy is one of them, and a number of my friends graduated from there. By the time you graduate, you will have been educated (to one degree or another) in propulsion, power generation, electrical distribution, instrumentation, etc. Ships are like self-contained floating cities, and the students have to learn to operate all the systems on their training vessel.

http://www.mainemaritime.edu/

1. What is a nautical engineering school?

A nautical engineering school is an educational institution that specializes in teaching students the technical skills and knowledge necessary to become a captain of a ship or work in the maritime industry. These schools offer programs in various areas of nautical engineering, such as marine engineering, naval architecture, and shipbuilding.

2. What are the qualifications to become a captain of a ship?

To become a captain of a ship, one must typically have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as nautical engineering or maritime studies. They must also have practical experience working on a ship and obtain the necessary certifications, such as a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) and a US Coast Guard license.

3. What courses are typically offered in a nautical engineering school?

Nautical engineering schools offer a variety of courses related to ship design, construction, and operation. Some common courses include marine propulsion systems, ship stability and dynamics, marine materials and corrosion, and marine electrical systems. Students may also take courses in navigation, maritime law, and marine safety.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of nautical engineering schools?

Graduates of nautical engineering schools can pursue careers as captains of ships, naval architects, marine engineers, and shipbuilders. They may also work in other roles within the maritime industry, such as port operations, maritime law, and marine surveying.

5. Are there any specialized nautical engineering schools for specific types of ships?

Yes, there are specialized nautical engineering schools that focus on specific types of ships, such as commercial vessels, naval ships, or luxury yachts. These schools may offer more specialized courses and training tailored to the specific needs and requirements of those types of ships.